• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is the best O/C board for AXP?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nick Burns

Your company's computer guy
I have a great old 1700+ from the gold rush and an unlocked 2500+ from their gold rush. What nforce2 mobo should I get to get the best OC? Northbridge cooling is not an issue as I will be replacing it first chance I get. I want a high FSB. My current Epox 8rda3+ won't go higher than 200 FSB for the life of it. I am stuck between the NF7-S and the DFI Lanparty board. Which is better? I have heard NF7 for a long time, but recently, people have put up some impressive fsb's with the Lanparty board.

Uh-Oh, i see a DFI-Abit debate coming. Well, I want to stay out of that so I say get an asus a7n8x-e deluxe.

Abit NF7 series has be VERY good to me, even with the questionable northy cooler I've done 225fsb as my max stable and I'm 99% sure that it's unstable because of my ram at LOWER speeds, above I'm guessing CPU... then again I need to replace the POS, it's starting the death spiral and is pretty loud on occation (I like things quiet and deadly)... Also my CPU reports to be undervolted in MBM5 but I'm blaming that on my POS cheap PSU (going Enermax once I get the $$$)..

But if you plan to replace the Northy cooler and you have an Antec PSU I'd say get it... It will serve you welll.

Get either the NF7-S (SATA support, I got the NF7 and reget saving the $25 (at the time) to pass on SATA, also the -S has Soundstorm which the NF7 doesn't have). The AN7 also is supposed to kick ***, basically just a NF7-S with the uGuru chip and slightly better board layout.

If I don't get a vote for the LANParty then I will stick with the NF7-S. Only thing I that makes a difference to me is the extra 2 SATA ports on the LANParty. But it isn't worth an extra $50 I don't think unless it overclocks better.

I'll recommend two boards

Abit NF7-S
DFI NFII Ultra Infinity

I currently love my Abit NF7, as it has been a dream to overclock. It has done everything that I expected of it, and more. If you have BH5 RAM though, I would think twice about a new NF7-S. The newer NF7-S boards are optimized for CH5 RAM, and dont play as nicely with BH5 as the old boards used to.

I personally have no experience with the DFI Ultra Infinity, but I have hread some very good things about it. Many people have been able to hit 250FSB and higher with those boards. However, many people have had problems with their onboard LAN crapping out when they overclock. Not sure if a universal fix is yet in place for it, but some people have had success using different BIOS.

Either way you decide to go, you should be very happy.

How can I tell what type of ram I have? I didn't know of these different types like that. I have twin sticks of 512MB PC3500 Kingston HyperX.

Back