• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

alternative to tygon? interesting nonetheless

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sanssheriff

Registered
Found some interesting cooling systems tubing and fittings while searching for 5/8 Y's. Anyone seen this stuff? Snap-Loc.

Kinda spendy though. Cheapest I found was about $6.5US for 1 12" length of tubing, y's, el's and t's are about $3.5 each,
Also I find it kinda hard to beleive that there wouldn't be any leaking in a section of tube made up of several snap together segements.
Here is one place I found to buy snap-loc and another called loc-line. Reid Tool Supply

What do you guys think about this stuff?

Bleh... at $6 a foot, I'd hardly consider it an alternative to Tygon =p.

Interesting, nevertheless... would be quite trippy to see a system plumbed with that.

I agree totally. To expensive, i'm not convinced it won't leak, but it would look pretty cool.

I couldn't find any gaurentee that it wouldn't leak on the manufacturers website but they were talking about it handling hydraulics including systems under pressure.

I found some on e-bay. I think i'll grab a little of it just to check it out. It'll make a good third hand extension if nothing else.

I use this stuff everyday. Its coolant line for CNC mills and lathes. Its greatest benefit is that you can bend it so that it can stream your coolant at any position onto you tools.

I would never use this in a WC setup. When its new its fairly hard to snap together and apart. But it eventually loosens. On the HAAS mills I run we use a fairly strong pump but its not building up much pressure on the line due to it being open and spraying. If you have a restrictive spray nozzle on the end, after the line has been used for awhile it will blow the line apart. Trust me I know cause Ive broke plenty of endmills and drills because of it. :/ So on a pressurized WC system it would leak eventually I would say. Not worth the risk at all reguardless of the 'coolness factor'.

Those tubes look like some sort of sex toy...

someone had to say it ;)

definately an interesting alternative choice, for richboys ;)

thanks for the insight Pyros. I knew someone in these forums had some experience with this stuff, with all the machinists and future machinists that are here.

just got my sample from Eldon James , misc fittings and a 1ft secton of 1/4id tube. The tube is Flexaline and it is AWSOME, its sturdy and flexible and its under $70 for 100ft thanx to wholesale catalogs w00t w00t!~

Pyros said:
I use this stuff everyday. Its coolant line for CNC mills and lathes. Its greatest benefit is that you can bend it so that it can stream your coolant at any position onto you tools.

I would never use this in a WC setup. When its new its fairly hard to snap together and apart. But it eventually loosens. On the HAAS mills I run we use a fairly strong pump but its not building up much pressure on the line due to it being open and spraying. If you have a restrictive spray nozzle on the end, after the line has been used for awhile it will blow the line apart. Trust me I know cause Ive broke plenty of endmills and drills because of it. :/ So on a pressurized WC system it would leak eventually I would say. Not worth the risk at all reguardless of the 'coolness factor'.

I'm going to agree with Pyros. I've also encountered this type of stuff for CNC coolant lines, and when its new, it works great. But the old ones we have always come apart way to easy, and may leak all over.

Pyros said:

I used to do mechanical drafting in a manufacturing company who used them as well. Those CNC machines are awesome & create some bad-*** work!!!

I used to design tons of stuff for pretty much any industry need & those CNC machines would bang-em out.

squeakygeek said:

I'm sorry, it never ceases to amuse me when people worry about pressure ratings when using their aquarium pumps :p

It amuses me when things are taken out of context. When I said "pressure rated", I meant ANY pressure. ANY pressure is well within the capability of aquarium pumps.. Hard plastic on hard plastic is not conducive to a good positive seal.

lowbaby said:

Nice spam... Finally broke 100 I see.

Back