• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Southbridge Cooling?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sentential

Contributing Member
Like the title says:

#1. Is it worth it?
#2. Does it actually help to increase your max FSB?
#3. If it did, how much did it increase by?

-thnx

Feel the Southbridge sometime, not hot? Cooling wouldn't help FSB even if it was hot, I believe all of that is controlled by the NorthBridge.

i cooled mine to stop random sound issues, and it worked.
and yer i thought fsb was controlled by n-bridge.
i belive the s-bridge controlls sound,ide,usb,pci or so i belive, someone correct me if im wrong.

I use my onboard sound and before when I touched the SB, it was BURNING HOT. As in, you couldn't keep your finger ON the SB for 10 seconds without turning your finger red. At the time I was having sound issues...sometimes it'd make crackling sounds.

After that I cut some heatsinks to size and used thermal paste to keep them on the SB. Now my sound problems have gone away and I feel a little better having a heatsink on there. Btw, I used the hetasinks that cheap ram cooling kits provide. They're vertical so I cut it in half and stuck the two halves on there.

Back