• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gigabyte GA-K8N nForce3 150

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LBJGH

I plan on grabbing a Gigabyte GA-K8N nForce3 150 soon and was wondering if others could provide their opinions.

This board is only $139can but looks like it'll be suitable for my needs.

I didn't see much point in spending a lot of money on a socket 754 motherboard when the socket 939 are coming out soon. I'm getting a great deal on an A64 that I can't pass-up.

This board has an AGP lock right? Also, has anyone had experience with the Gigabyte GA-K8N and overclocking?

tx LBJGH

i had a k8n, excellent board for overclocking if you dont need extra features like sata and others
voltage mods are very easy too

it does have agp lock

Guys,
I have a GA-K8NNXP Limited Edition Mboard, and AMD Athlon64 3200+ etc. Entire system built out of new boxed parts purchased at the same time.

My games exit in the middle of play (TWoods PGA Tour 2004, Battlefield Vietnam, Vietcong) and my machine occassionally reboots (about every three hours). I also get a memory crash errors (blue screen of death).

I have read many reviews and searched the web - but to no avail. My system is all new components and I even wore the wrist strap when I assembled.

My friend has a standard SocketA AMD motherboard system - all periferals (Screen keyboard and vid card) and my DDR333 RAM were used in his system without any problems.

I have not seen any common errors in reviews or websites and no complaints on the web so it must just be my setup/rig.

If you have any advice for me let me know - my system is stock standard across the board.

Keep well,

Groova

Groova said:
Guys,
I have a GA-K8NNXP Limited Edition Mboard, and AMD Athlon64 3200+ etc. Entire system built out of new boxed parts purchased at the same time.

My games exit in the middle of play (TWoods PGA Tour 2004, Battlefield Vietnam, Vietcong) and my machine occassionally reboots (about every three hours). I also get a memory crash errors (blue screen of death).

I have read many reviews and searched the web - but to no avail. My system is all new components and I even wore the wrist strap when I assembled.

My friend has a standard SocketA AMD motherboard system - all periferals (Screen keyboard and vid card) and my DDR333 RAM were used in his system without any problems.

I have not seen any common errors in reviews or websites and no complaints on the web so it must just be my setup/rig.

If you have any advice for me let me know - my system is stock standard across the board.

Keep well,

Groova

Try a different P/S. Your generic 300W P/S is just not cutting it...

conscript,

thanks for the advice - I will purchase and respond once I have done this.

It will certainly explain my problems.

Can I just purchase a 350Watt power supply and install - is it really that simple?

Groova

Groova said:
conscript,

thanks for the advice - I will purchase and respond once I have done this.

It will certainly explain my problems.

Can I just purchase a 350Watt power supply and install - is it really that simple?

Groova

it's pretty simple, but I wouldn't get anything less than a 400W. Also, the watts aren't the only barometer. You'll want to get one with solid rails, so I'd stick with Antec, Enermax, Fortron, etc.

I have the K8Npro, its pretty picky about ram. right now I'm using some hyperX pc3500 with bh-5. As long as I keep it at 2225 it seems to do ok, but tried 2227 and it gave me lots of registry errors. I also have some lvl2 pc3500 and it pretty much hates it I've also read that the board tends to dislike some modules with double sided chips. My guess it that its the ram. Try playing with the timmings you may get yours to work.

pkrew / conscript,

hmmmmm, I am not sure if my RAM is approved, it is:

2 x 512MB DDR 333MHz (PC2700) Legend

My 400Watt PSU and new case arrive today. I will install and see what happens.

If the PSU thing does not do it then I will have to look at my RAM settings (they are presently standard).

Thanks again for the input. You guys have been a big help.

Groova

Back