• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AN35 ULTRA boot problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pucknut

Ok I could really use some help..First time builder with new age components..My new system posts ok but when I tried to load win XP home it will only boot from the cd drives and not the hard drive. Windows setup shows my hard drive as partitioned and formated as it tells me there is already a OS installed when I put the cd back in the drive. I tried swapping the cables on the pri and sec IDE drives with no help. Has anyone run into this before.

System specs:

Shuttle AN35 Ultra
WD 120 gig HD
Geil PC 3200 512M - one stick for now
Liteon DVD RW
Liteon CDRW
Radeon 9600xt

Last edited:
oooh, try putting your WD as cable select, and like balrog says, you have to format and reinstall with this board :)

Crap! I didn't notice the WD, good looking out Lanman! Hey Pucknut WD drives need to have the rear jumper removed if put on a IDE channel by themselves. If they share an IDE channel with another device you need the jumper, which you can set to either M\S\CS but if its by itself remove the jumper completely.

Regards, Balrog

It was indeed a new hard drive that I partioned and formatted with win xp. I would like to extend my sincere thanks to Balrog and Ianman31337 this thing was giving me fits. I indeed was the knucklehead who had the HD jumpered incorrectly. Jumpered for single installation and everything is working now. Unfortunately in my research I find that I may have bought the wrong RAM as I purchased the Geil Value series with the blue heat spreaders, But I'll see if it runs OK. This was a project I thought would be good for me and my son to work on together. Do either of you care to guess how much I can overclock this safely running with the retail fan/heatsink/and thermal pad on air cooling with three case fans before heat will become a problem ?

Yeah that Geil with the Blue heatspreaders has caused problems for many people. First off, download MBM5, Speedfan or Aida so that you can track your system temps, voltages and fan rpms before you start OCing. Glad you got your WD straightened out, I use 800JBs in all my rigs and really like them. I don't think you told us what your CPU is or which retail HSF it came with, some are copper and work well for smaller OCs, others are aluminum and don't. First thing you need to do is get that crappy thermal tape off and lap(sand) the bottom of your sink to at least 800grit . I use an old piece of glass as a work surface with a bit of water for lube to keep the wet\dry sandpaper from clogging. I use 220 - 400 - 600 - 800 - 1000 grit sequence myself. Your local home center or auto supply store should have paper for ~$1.00 a sheet, keep it clean and you'll be able to lap many sinks. Give us a bit more info about your rig, PSU, CPU. Start with RAM in Slot #1 & 11-3-3-2.5 timings. Thats cool you got your son started in this! Good Luck!

Regards, Balrog

Sorry Balrog I didn't notice that I omitted the CPU info. Also wanted to mention that in 3 posts you guys helped me more than the tech support guys at Shuttle and Geil did with 3 long distance phone calls. So much for professionals. I am running a AMD2500+ xp barton core with the stock crappy aluminum heatsink and fan. Do you have a recommendation for which thermal paste to use? I was going to scrape the tape off before we put it togehter but I didn't have any thermal compound and it was sunday evening, and my son was chomping at the bit to get started. I am going to install the second stick of 512 Geil that I bought, I would return it to Newegg and buy some Kingmax instead but I don't want to pay the restocking fee. On the bright side Geil customer service answered the phone right away and honestly did try to help me, more so than the first joker I got a hold of at shuttle. So maybe I can get them to swap it for some golden dragon if it gives me fits.

Rgds

OK, First off! Besides our long hair and scruffy chins and baggy clothes, we are professionals! Well no, actually we're computer geeks which is way better than professionals because we know what we're talking about. :D

Secondly, NewEgg will RMA your RAM without a re-stocking fee with-in 15 days, maybe 30, if you tell them it isn't compatable with your MoBo. You could then buy some other RAM, Buffalo\Winbond, Corsair Value Select, whatever you want, I'd still get it from NewEgg especailly if you RMA the Geil.

Thirdly, Thermaltake Volcano 12 Extreme HSF, $30.00 delivered from www.ajump.com it comes with an 80mm X 39mm thermally and manually controlled fan and 2 different fan controllers. Almost silent @2100rpm and moderately loud and very cool @5500rpm

Fourth, I've found that I can get within 1-2C using the cheap white goo(silicon) that comes with every HSF. If the HSF is quality & properly lapped and the goo is applied in a smooth, thin, consistent layer heat will not be the limiting factor of your rigs stability or OC (IMHO) spend the extra $ on another case fan.

Regards, Szandor

I meant no disrespect with the professional comment, I was refering to the first guy I talked to at shuttle that just wanted to blame the RAM without even trying to help. Thanks again for the good info I really appreciate it. If I was to RMA the RAM what brand in the pc3200 would you suggest that does not cost and arm and a leg.

Rgds

Pucknut, the :D meant I was joking, I'm as far from professional as you can get. The long hair, scruffy chin and baggy clothes are definitely me though. :D except I look more like a Outlaw Biker dressed as a Computer Geek. Hah! I make me laugh!

I like my Buffalo\Winbond CH-5 PC3200, they tell me its still available at NewEgg but its not labeled Buffalo\Winbond in the 256mb size anymore, maybe someone else can help us there. Corsair Value Select is good, Some people have good luck with Kingston Hyper-X and Corsair XMS but many have problems with them, same goes for OCZ. Mushkin usually works no problem. I know you can get Buffalo\Winbond at www.tblmemory.com last I knew 512mb was $81.00 a stick and 256mb were $41.00 a stick.

Regards, Balrog

Back