• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best rad to use

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hal 2002

Registered
HI all first post. I am looking to put a water cooling system togeter soon so I am after some info.

I will be starting slow at first but plan to have the cpu & gpu water cooled and then put pelts on them both as time and funds permit

so here is what I am sure will be the first of many ?.

as I will need a big rad to cool all that should I get one that will take 2 120 or get somthing like the Black Ice Extreme to start with then adother one to the system

If I have 2 Black Ice Extreme in say pump... cpu....rad.....gpu...res

will that be better than going pump...cpu...gpu...big rad...res

like I said I want to start with a basic setup then add to it but I need to now what my end system will be like so I doint wastes money on stuff that has to be replaced.

T.I.A

Well if you are looking for pelts then i would go with maze4 cpu and gpu beacouse they arent focused in one spot such as ww and rbx. Use 2 heatercores to handle the heat from the pelts and 2 blowers from http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2004020913455716&item=16-1216&catname=electric
And for the order i would go , pump-cpu-rad-gpu-rad-pump, another alternitive that would make you have to have a god pump is , pump - y - cpu/gpu - y - parrell rads - t line - rad.
Dont use a BAY RES!~!!!!

Based in the uk eh? Then that links no use but blowers are getting more popular.
Rad choice is very limited in the uk which is a problem but heater cores (aka heater matrixes in the uk) are very popular as they offer great performance but cost less. Try checking some prices on them, and even better if you live near a scrapyard you can rip them out for cheap. I did got 2 cleaned them out and they work fantastically well, for £10 too for both fantastic.
I have my rads in parallel, it goes:
pump-->rads-->cpu-->res-->pump.
I agree with sk8 on blocks as you need ones with less focused cooling as you'll be using tecs.
Later

Edit: First post? you joined before me how could you not post?

thanks guys. I have been resheaching this for quinet some wile so I think I have a fairly good idear of what I will need. I have used pelts before on a p3 700 @ 1050 that was air cooled. this will be a my fist go at water coolin

just had a bath and wile I was there I had a thoght how abount going

pump....res....y....gpu....rad....res
cpu....rad....res

I cound use a Typhoon-Quad Dual Reservoir what do you think

Last edited:
stay away from bayres they crack and are ugly! , plus you want your pressure from pump straight to blocks to get rid of the evil tec heat so u can get sub 0 temps. w00t w00t!

My many quesiton is would two Black Ice Xtreme rad be better than one Black Ice Xtreme II witch can take 2 120mm fans as I could have a setup that go,s pump...cpu...rad...gpu...rad..res or is it better to go pump....cpu...gpu...big rad...res

T.I.A

In regard to the first setup, it would mean water is cooled before going to the gpu and may result in better gpu temps. Although water temp in a setup varies very little in a setup since the water is moving around quite quickly.

Since each setup is different it's hard to say without testing it out really, but one advantage of 2 rads over one is running them in parallel reduces flow resistance. Which maybe more important as black ices are said to be restrictive, 4 pass maybe? correct me if i'm wrong. People don't normally recommend running in parallel though as it's more hassle and gains are relatively small but it can help.

Later

Back