• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

External Water cooling.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Therion

Registered
Hi, quick question :

For someone who doesnt necessarily need the best overclocking, doesnt know much about watercooling, doesnt have the time or doesnt want the hassle or danger,, of a kit that you fit in your case (or it wouldnt fit anyway), etc, which external watercooling solution would you recommend ?

I read some reviews of Hydrocool and Exos, but i would also like your input :)

Thanks for any replies :)

PS: the system is a P4 2.4C @ 3250Mhz all voltages default, SLK900+Vantec Tornado,, etc...

hydrocool or exos would work fine
but you are overclocking quite a bit..
and i wouldn't expect temps a lot lower (or maybe the same) to your current cooling solution, but it will be A LOT quieter then the tornado u have now..
hydrocool is better then the exos, but i also believe its more expensive..

I cant believe you would recomend an exos. I would say get a dangerden kit. Its not that hard, and you will be MUCH happier.

Yuriman said:
I cant believe you would recomend an exos. I would say get a dangerden kit. Its not that hard, and you will be MUCH happier.

lol dude
title of the topic is "External water cooling"
hes asking for a external water cooling kit
you could get better thens then a exo or hydro even with a cheap kit from aquastealth for about 130 bucks, and dangerden would total own those kits, but they are both internal thats why i'm forced to recommend it.
exos isn't half bad if u think about it actually. would u rather have a aquarius or iceberg??

True, but the dangerden kit could be made external simply with a plastic laundry bin, and some longer tubing.

YEs but he doesnt want the 'hassle'

I think the Corsair EX external kit is the best 'premade, external, VERY easy' setup out there right now... Might want to check this out.

I have all the parts for my external system and it didn't cost me much. The only hassle was chasing down the parts. I got my heater core from the junkyard for $1.00 and tubing from home depot for $3.00 for 10'. All of the connection points are 1/2" and there aren't many restrictions. I chose the external system for the same reasons you mention. I won't be moving my system much, so I don't care if it is a little cumbersome.

Hydor L30: $50
1986 Dodge pickup heatercore (fins=8.5" x 8"): $1
Maze4 WB: $40
Tubing: $3
Clamps, T, irrigation cap: $6
Panaflo 120x38: $18

This setup will run through the plexiglas side of my case with the only risk points being the WB connections. The only other cost is for anti-corrosive for a few bucks. The whole system cost less than $125 shipped and all.

I'm sure there are many ways to design these things, but this what I chose. After we move into our new house in a couple of weeks, I will finally build the system which is just sitting in boxes and post pics!!

Thanks for the input guys, and for that german link ! I'm checking now, looks nice .

I've just heard and read so many things about these external units , that i dont know who is right and who isnt :(

What i'm worrued about (besides leaks) is maintenance and corrossion and stuff. I read copper and aluminum need plenty of anti corrossive and care.

Last edited:
I won't be moving my system much, so I don't care if it is a little cumbersome.

What I told myself. IME external systems are an absolute pain. External setup now permanently retired and only 100% internal from here on in. Dont underestimate the need to be able to simply pick up your box and go :) Still shudder when I think back.

Back