• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What FSB can your 8RDA+ sustain???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chixofnix

I've got a Vantec Copper Iceburq on my northbridge, and i put the stock NB HS on the SB, so what FSBs should I expect to be able to hit on my 8RDA+???

Post your 8RDA+'s max FSB (if you know it) and cooling, and that may help me and others to guess theirs...

I want to know this to see what speed of RAM would be unfeasible w/ my 8RDA+, BTW...

looking forward to your posts :D

Max FSB is 225.

Max STABLE FSB is 222.

Have Vantec Iceberq 4 Pro on NB. Rest of setup is below...

BTW, Chixofnix, what revision is your MOBO? And do you have the NB volt modded?

nYmph

Last edited:
nymph said:
Max FSB is 225.
Max STABLE FSB is 222.
Have Vantec Iceberq 4 Pro on NB. Rest of setup is below...
BTW, Chixofnix, what revision is your MOBO? And do you have the NB volt modded?

Well... honestly i don't know what revision it is, and i've been wondering this for awhile myself - I can't find it on the box, in the manual, or any of the other documentation it came with... and I've checked more than once :( I'm guessing there's something i need to read off of my board, but I don't know where to find it...

Haven't done any volt-modding yet... but I plan to do the vDIMM volt mod in the un-defined future...

Can you link me to the NB volt mod? I'm curious as to whether it's easier than the vDIMM one...

This is the only place I know of off hand that has most mods in one place :

http://www.motherboardfaqs.com/article.php?35.255

As far as the revision goes, I believe the revision number is located somewhere on lower left corner of the motherboard itself. If its not there it should be on one of the other corners of the motherboard.

Good luck!

nYmph

I have managed to hit 225 as well. However, I lowered it back to enable me to increase the multi a little more. Through trial and error I found the highest MHz oc. I know that higher fsb is better than higher multi, but for folding, it's all about pure, raw MHz, so this works better for me.
BTW, I am currently at 11.5*205 1.85 Vcore 100% load temp=26ºC

Right now I'm running at 166. I've pushed 200, but my processor doesn't like it w/o massive amounts of voltage (upwards of 2.1v), and that's not safe w/ the air cooling I have right now.

My 8RDA+ hit 238MHz FSB but it doesn't sustain long enough.
The max stable FSB is around 234Mz.

Do you know which BIOS give best FSB oc headroom?

i just got one from a friend who gave up on his setup after he chipped his 2500 barton on his rbx and ended up getting an amd 64, he said his max fsb was 220 stable, but we will see with my amd 1700 when it comes sometime this week :)

236mhz. (ram max)
Xp2500 Barton 1.75v/ Thermaltake Silent Booster
Artic Silver Ceramique on all hs
Twinmos PC3200 1.96v
Vantec CopperIceberq on NB
GF256 cooler on SB
3 - 92mm, 1 - 120mm case fans
R9700Pro/VGA Silencer

I've run 220 up to the point of Prime and Folding crashing after a couple hours. I cruise comfortably at 210 right now. See sig for details.

i've yet to buy ram that'll show my my mobo's true limit... though I borrowed a stick of BH-5 from a close friend and experimentally had enough time to see that I could get into windows at 215 (didn't check for stability, just messing around)... might've gone higher, but didn't have the time to mess around too much :/

The highest I have tried was 225 (11x225), maybe it can go higher, I don't know. I have been running at 210 for a long time, running at 11.5x215 now, trying to get to 218 so I can break the 2.5 Ghz barrier..

After the Vdd mod I can hit 215-220 but rock solid only to 210. I do believe my ram is holding me at 210 though and not the board. In fact Im currently at 12*200 while my chip "burns in" and my thermal goo sets up and cures...new chip so im going easy...

The VDD mod isnt a guarantee that your FSB will run a lot higher, usually boards that come stock with Vdd voltages in the 1.5v-1.58v range will be very good overclockers. My 8RDA+ came stock with 1.53v and overclocked into the lower 230's without any problem after replacing the stupid passive heatsink with an Copper Iceberq. In fact, installing the Vdd mod didnt improve anything except the amount of heat generated.

I just bought a NF7-S 2.0 hoping I could get it into the 240's stable but it doesnt come close to my 8RDA+'s overclocking performance. Some rare boards will out perform others that will just run well at stock speeds.
Is it luck? No, just coincidence.

I have an 8RDA+ with the Vantec on the NB, the Stock NB on the SB with a fan on it, NB Vdd mod at 1.9 V, Mosfet sinks with a fan mounted above them. (EXTREMELY IMPORTANT to do the sinks as my mosfets REALLY heat up RIGHT when I connect the grabbers for the NB vdd mod) I currently have a 1700 in the rig and have hit 215 with no problems but that was before I got the chiller setup.

I'll stick the Corsair that's in the P4 in it and see what it will do because I know the Corsair will do at least 230 with 3v but I don't have a voltage mod for the 8RDA Vdimm. Is there one?

Well I got mine to 210 stable, managed to get to 215 but it was flaky as hell so I am back down a bit. Shes got a vantec on the NB, a cpu cooler on the south, ram heat sinks on the mosfets and a mach1 prommy cooler for the cpu.

Its volt modded for the ram but not the NB mod, I forget the exact voltages but I believe core is 2.0 and 1.8 on the memmory. I can take a look when I get back home from work

Back