• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU Temp seems high....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wandler20

Alright I just switched from an Asus P4P800 mobo to an IC7 after some problems with my Asus. But anyways I was getting temps from the Asus at System: 25*C CPU: 30*C PWR: 27*C, but now that I have switched I get these temps: System: 31*C CPU: 50*C PWR: 32*C. Its the CPU that really worries me, it gets into the 60s at times. I applied silver 5 and a thermaltake volcano 7 heatsink to it just as I had it set in the Asus. Why are the temps so different and so much higher? I have 5 80mm fans running in my case and a 430 watt Antec True Power PSU. Any info would be great, thanks.

PC:
2.8GHZ P4 800mhz fsb w/HT
1 GB Kingston PC3200 Ram
120GB and 40GB HDs
128mb Radeon 8500(not great i know, upgrade coming soon!)
Lite On CD-RW and Lite On DVD+-RW
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum

Abit uses an other algoritm for calculating the CPU temperature from the onchip thermal diode.
Your temps are normal.

crotale said:
Abit uses an other algoritm for calculating the CPU temperature from the onchip thermal diode.
Your temps are normal.

yeh...er i doubt, even on a abit board, he should be getting those temps.
If i was you id reseat the heatsink.

good luck! :)

[BBE]Jimbob said:

yeh...er i doubt, even on a abit board, he should be getting those temps.
If i was you id reseat the heatsink.

good luck! :)

I agree with Jimbob. You shoudl reset your heatsink and reapply the AS5, but also ontop of that i would lap the heatsink and clean off any residue of any thermal compunds on it prviously. What could be happening is that your heatsink isnt making good enough contact with the cpu because of contaminents on the heatsink. More about lapping can be found Here

Also, before reseatting the heatsink, i would also clean the cpu chip itself with a cotton swab and some isopropyl alcohol (97%+ purity ). This will ensure that both the cpu and the heatsink are clean. Now all you do is apply some Thermal compund (ie AS5) and then reseat.

If your temps are still high after this, then there could just be something wrong with the temp probe on your abit.

raven

Back