• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

best way to clean water?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
You mean to clean the water wetter sludge out?
BillA used simple green after finding the evils of WW lurking in his test system. You can pick it up from any auto parts store, and I found mine at evil evil walmart with the car wash stuff.
Biodegradeable and an awesome degreaser.

If you mean "what's a good additive?", most find dex-cool antifreeze to work really well. 10% mix with distilled water.

aight ill go and pick up some simple green and get some dex-cool.... hopefully it wont be too expensive

You can search "additives". There's a couple of guys using something that's a corrosion inhibitor but it's clear=no stains.
I really can't remember the name of the stuff though.

How much of the Simple Green do you use? Do you just add a little to your old water and then replace all the water, or run pure simple green for a short period and then replace with new water?

Sounds soapy:)

Don't know that. BillA mentioned (in a post) that that's what he used to clean out his testing rig. Maybe an e-mail or PM would reach him to ask.
It does foam pretty well when I shake the bottle up, but not quite like dishsoap does.

I just use it around the house. It cleans motorcycles nicely, and even makes a good shampoo in the carpet cleaner when you forget to pick some up on the way home...happy wife happy life...ya know? :D

If I remember rightly they were talking about an additive from a smaller bottle, not the antifreeze you normally see.
Maybe I just have too many accumulated head injuries :D

Found it, Zerex Super Protectant. Again, it sounds more like an additive than an antifreeze, in a smaller bottle like waterwetter.

I don't use the stuff, but a couple of guys here do. I can't swear by it as they've not graced us with a review.

I would recommend NOT using it in the mixtures that the bottle would list on it. We don't cool cars with steel blocks, aluminum heads, copper gaskets, brass bushings, and high heat like an engine. We also don't use pumps that will spray 20 feet.
A couple of teaspoons per quart sounds reasonable.

SK8, is this the stuff you said you used? If so, how much did you use?

Diggrr said:
You can search "additives". There's a couple of guys using something that's a corrosion inhibitor but it's clear=no stains.
I really can't remember the name of the stuff though.

Zerex Super Protector @ autozone. Pretty cheap also.

Edit: oops, didn't read all the posts yet.

I would like to add that also availible @ autozone is zerex super cleaner. I too had water wetter cloudiness on my tubing so it looked awful. I added 2 capfuls of the stuff went out to the kitchen to get a beer and came back the tubes were clear. I could not believe it. My tubes had just started to become cloudy so It might take longer if you really have build up but for me 1 minute was an amazing difference. Only downside is your supposed to drain the watter after a little use and replace with fresh fluid. i haven't yet and its been a couple of weeks with no harmful side effects. The reason I haven't is I want to see what will happen if I leave it in. Temps have not changed at all so I know it doesn't affect performance measurably. Though I have noticed the residue from my tubes has now made its way into my resivior. Im guessing with a quick clean of the res, no prblems would exist.

Edit for spelling

Back