• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which Mobo is better? DFI or Abit?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kenshiro

Can someone tell me which one is better???

DFI nForce2 Ultra 400 Chipset Motherboard for AMD Socket A CPU, Model "NFII ULTRA-AL"

DFI nForce2 Ultra 400 Chipset Motherboard for AMD Socket A CPU, Model "NFII ULTRA INFINITY"

ABIT nForce2 SPP Chipset Motherboard for AMD Socket A CPU, Model "NF7"

ABIT nForce2 Ultra 400 Chipset Motherboard for AMD Socket A CPU, Model "NF7-S"

I want to change from my Asus A7V8X. I like to spend the least for the most. Thanks.

DFI nForce2 Ultra 400 Chipset Motherboard for AMD Socket A CPU, Model "NFII ULTRA INFINITY"
best overclocker for the moment 250 fsb granted

makaka said:
best overclocker for the moment 250 fsb granted

250FSB........ Is that with air cooled or water cooled??? I just purchased 2 sticks of 512MB PC3200 Geil value gold series ram. How far can I push that? The reason I got the PC3200 is because of my mobo's limitation. How far can I push those memory???? I will be running the SP-27 heatsink from thermalright and a Vantec Tornado 92mm fan. I will be using a fan controller also.

Excellent question, Kenshiro. I was in the middle of posting the exact same question regarding the same boards when I came across this post. Im currently researching those boards at the manufacturer's sites, but I'd really like to hear some real world OC'ing stats...

Ill post back with manufacturer specs and pricewatch prices.

The DFI's have somes slight problems with certain Geil ram, though they are officially supported. I had the SP-97 on the NF II Ultra B (waiting on a new one)....it will fit but you MUST mod the X-plate and also watch to be sure the standoffs dont rub against any capacitors. However, contact thermalright with a proof of purchase and they'll send you the neo backplate that comes with the SLK-948-U which will allow you to attach the SP-97 with no problems whatsoever (I got one from them in a bout 7-10 days after I sent the e-mail with proof). As for the DFI's they are EXCELLENT boards with lots of headroom. I had my mobile barton at 10x240 rock stable with the ultra b and 2x256 Mushkin Black Level II. To get the best o/c...you need some good windbond Bh-5 for the DFI boards as they SCREAM IT (3.3 volts available in the bios).

Unfortunately, the board is not without its problems. They are notorious for bios corruptions (I'm about to be on my 3rd or 4th board)...but they are so feature rich and powerful that they are worth all the trouble. My advice would be to stick to newegg, get some Bh-5 and the Infinity or the LP B and you'll be in good shape. Also, make sure you o/c with the beta bioses (12/31 1/21 1/31, etc). And the Infinity board has a problem with slight undervolting, whereas the LP B is a bit more stable with voltages. Hope this helps!

-EDIT- The board was stable at 10x240 (20k 3d marks), but I tried to install an Audigy 2ZS and I couldnt get a post on the board. I thought I did something wrong but I think that the bios crapped out on me. Like I said if you get it up and running the DFI's are GREAT and are the IMHO the best boards out right now.

Ok, as far as Im concerned, it's between these mobo's at these prices on Pricewatch:

DFI LANPARTY NFII ULTRA B - $146 - GameVE.com
DFI NFII ULTRA INFINITY - $91 - GameVE.com
ABIT NF7-S (2.0 or later) - $95 - Newegg.com (should be 2.0)
- $100 - Monarchcomputer (IS 2.0)
ABIT AN7 - $104 - GameVE.com

The DFI LANPARTY NFII ULTRA B has dual ethernet (with one being gigabit) and diagnostic LED's that the Infinity doesn't have. Everything else is the same.

Comparing NF7-S to AN7, they seem pretty similar except the AN7 has 4 USB and 1 firewire on the back panel whereas the NF7-S just have 2 usb.

Comparing the DFI Infinity boards to Abit NF7-S boards, they both support fsb 400 (nf7 needs 2.0), same chipsets, nf7-s only allows 2 of 3 DIMM sockets to use ddr400, nf7-s has soundstorm audio (dolby digital 5.1)

Those are standard specs...still waiting on real world FSB OC'ing results...

After doing a lot of research I'd definitely choose
the DFI. From what I've been reading across the forums
the nf7 aren't what they once were. :(

Arg-g-gh! ... :bang head :beer: ... I am trying really hard not to upgrade until
the next generation a64 boards are released and tested
by our fellow Overclockers. :D

And to think, I was going to make the EXACT SAME THREAD!!!!!!!!!
Right down to including the AN7 NF7 and both DFI boards. lol Well if I do have any luck selling my MSI mobo and 2800+ and ram then I guess I either have to pick up a DFI or an ABIT. Still can't decide :p What exactly does soundstorm do? Nothing? Does it do anything at all? If both the DFI and the Abit use MCP-T southbridges then what's the difference? And there's one more thing the DFIs have. 4 SATA connections :)

Back