• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrade from A7V333 to Abit NF7/NF7-S

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Optimmune

I was wondering if upgrading my mobo from a Asus A7V333 to an Abit NF7/NF7-S give me a decent performance increase. I currently am unable to increase the FSB without causing my hard drive to revert to PIO instead of UDMA. I am able to increase the multiplier though(the cpu is unlocked).

System specs:
AMD XP2400 (overclocked to XP2600-16x133)
Asus A7V333 revision 1.02 BIOS1016(i think)
SK7 with SF2
ATI Radeon 9800pro
Audigy Gamer
Maxtor 80g 7200rpm
Lite-on CDRW/Toshiba DVD
Enermax 350watt psu
512mbx2 Kingston ValueRam pc2700

Thank you for any and all responses.

Given how close Socket 939 MoBos, cheaper AMD64s, PCI Express Video, DDRII memory and who knows what else I'd try to hold out a few more monthes. Doesn't your Via board support a 166FSB with dividers?

Regards, Balrog

My understanding is that only revision 2 boards officially support 166FSB. I have tried raising the the FSB to 166 and dropping the multiplier but then my computer is very unstable. Also my primary IDE channel will basically crap out and put my hard drive into PIO mode. I tried raising my FSB to 135 and it still will do this.

Sorry if I wasnt clear in my previous post. My board has the 1:5 divider, it just doesnt work properly. Hence I am unable to overclock by increasing the FSB, only changing the multiplier works properly. Thanks for the responses.

I know a couple of people with the same board and theirs works fine. Maybe you need to re-flash your current BIOS and double-check how to set the 1:5 divider as it should work.

Regards, Balrog

I guess I can try to reflash the BIOS and see if that does it. I used to have a Palomino in this board and I could increase FSB without problems but when I upgraded to my current T-Bred any increase in FSB and my hard drive starts acting up or my system becomes unstable. Its not the end of the world, it just annoys me I cant increase the FSB. Another odd thing is if I set my CPU:RAM ratio to 1:1 Windows wont load. My current setting is CPU 266/RAM 333 (4:5).

Thanks for the input,

Optimmune

Back