• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

"ECC Registered?"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
erm... does ram with error checking run slower, if it's checking for errors while doing what it was meant to do? :confused:

I'm bordering on figuring it out on my own if nobody here knows off the top of their head... :D

Well from what i have found ecc is most commonly used in server applications because it does run slower as it checks info before proceding and registered if your mobo accepts it can not be run with any other ram that is not registered
Heres some definitions

ECC
(Error Correction Code) - A method of checking the integrity of data in DRAM. ECC provides more elaborate error detection than parity; ECC can detect multiple-bit errors and can locate and correct single-bit errors.

Registered Memory
SDRAM memory that contains registers directly on the module. The registers re-drive the signals through the memory chips and allow the module to be built with more memory chips. Registered and unbuffered memory cannot be mixed. The design of the computer memory controller dictates which type of memory the computer requires.
Here is also a link to help explain ecc better
http://www.memorysuppliers.com/eccwhatisita.html

Back