• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A7n8x-x built-in sound vs SB512

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ProBoner

I am running an old SB512 PCI that I bought for $3 a few years back (gotta love bargain bins :D). I was wondering, if I switched over to the built-in sound card, would my system performance take a hit or would it actually help?

I never really even thought of this until I noticed the frame drop in the sound test portion of 3dmark03.

In terms of sound quality, I doubt I would be able to tell the difference unless one of them is vastly superior than the other :eek:

You'll see a performance gain if you use the onboard Sound due to the fact that it's onboard and not running through the slow PCI bus. Sound quality should be a bit better but really not to any point to where you'll be saying OH WOW!!! But who knows..

In terms of performance, you shouldnt notice anything. I would assume if you disabled your onboard sound, you would gain more performance, because it is one less thing running off the motherboard(like disabling onboard video can do for it)

Back