• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does the NF7-S V2.0 work SATA RAIDs well?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Randalthas

Registered
I'm just starting to learn about setting up a RAID for my system. My goal is to buy to 36G Raptors and RAID them. As I'm searching for information, I see many people have opted for another controller card for their RAIDs. I also remember seeing many posts when SATA debued of people having problems with the Highpoint drivers.

Have these issue been cleared up and the onboard SATA works great? Or should I be looking for another controller card (of which I am still figuring out what all that topic entails)?

The Onboard Sil3112A controller isn't a bad one. It has had it's share of problems, but pretty much all of them are cleared up. I've never had any problems with it, running Raid-0 for awhile now. The only thing is that your overclocking options will be limited if you use SATA with the NF7-S, as you're limited in the bioses you can use.

Other than that, I've been extremely pleased with the performance of the Sil3112A controller, especially being an onboard solution. You can see my Sandra and Atto scores in my sig, but they're pretty good.

Randalthas said:
I'm just starting to learn about setting up a RAID for my system. My goal is to buy to 36G Raptors and RAID them. As I'm searching for information, I see many people have opted for another controller card for their RAIDs. I also remember seeing many posts when SATA debued of people having problems with the Highpoint drivers.

Have these issue been cleared up and the onboard SATA works great? Or should I be looking for another controller card (of which I am still figuring out what all that topic entails)?

In the first few revisions of the BIOS for the MB there where serious corruption issues on the SATA channels, that only got worse when running RAID, and high FSB speeds. To my knowledge this has been fixed on all BIOS versions 14 and later. If you are going to run RAID 0 your best bet is to run the newest version for the board.

You want the nf7-s. If your barton is locked and the highest it'll do is 11x200, I don't see how you'll get a higher FSB, and if you're getting it just for RAID (I don't know if the a7n8x has RAID) you'd prob be just fine getting 1 76GB Raptor instead of two raided 36GB raptors

Back