• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can someone with a Chevvy Heatercore, and a Shroud do a quick measurement for me?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

felinusz

Senior Overclocking Magus
Can someone with a Chevvy Heatercore, and a Shroud do a quick measurement for me?

I'm in the following predicament -

I am looking at trading for a Chevvette Heatercore (of the 'DTEK ProCore' breed), but am not sure if it will fit the upper blowhole in my case once shrouded.

I need a measurement fairly quickly, so I can decide :)

I am worried about the extension of the shroud/Heatercore over the very edge of the hole in the shroud made for a 120mm fan.

See the below diagram (periods are spacers, please ignore them)

.../----------\
../................\ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . <------- SHROUD
============
============ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . <---------- RADIATOR
|| . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . <---------BARBS

.................|..| <------------ The extension space I'm worried about

I only have about an inch (a little less) of extra space around my 120mm blowhole (cut for a BIX), and I'm worried that the shrouded Heatercore won't fit the hole, due to the back of the case.

If th extension *is* longer than about an inch, does anyone happen to know where I could buy a 'slanted' shroud for the chevvy, which would allow it to fit?

Diagram of a 'slanted' shroud (periods are spacers):

....../----120mm fan hole------\
....../.....................................\
....../.......................................\................. <- 'Slanted' Shroud
....../..........................................\
....../............................................\
....../...............................................\
...==============================
...============================== ..... <- Heatercore
....................................................|+|
....................................................|+|...... <- Barbs

Ok, what is it your looking for? what dimention?

Also, dont you think it would have been easier to just use paint?;)

Jon

JFettig said:

Also, dont you think it would have been easier to just use paint?;)
Jon

LOL, exactly what I was thinking. 1337 ascii skills though felinusz ;)

What shroud were you looking for?

Re: Can someone with a Chevvy Heatercore, and a Shroud do a quick measurement for me?

felinusz said:
I'm in the following predicament -

I am looking at trading for a Chevvette Heatercore (of the 'DTEK ProCore' breed), but am not sure if it will fit the upper blowhole in my case once shrouded.

I need a measurement fairly quickly, so I can decide :)

I am worried about the extension of the shroud/Heatercore over the very edge of the hole in the shroud made for a 120mm fan.

See the below diagram (periods are spacers, please ignore them)

.../----------\
../................\ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . <------- SHROUD
============
============ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . <---------- RADIATOR
|| . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . <---------BARBS

.................|..| <------------ The extension space I'm worried about

I only have about an inch (a little less) of extra space around my 120mm blowhole (cut for a BIX), and I'm worried that the shrouded Heatercore won't fit the hole, due to the back of the case.

If th extension *is* longer than about an inch, does anyone happen to know where I could buy a 'slanted' shroud for the chevvy, which would allow it to fit?

Diagram of a 'slanted' shroud (periods are spacers):

....../----120mm fan hole------\
....../.....................................\
....../.......................................\................. <- 'Slanted' Shroud
....../..........................................\
....../............................................\
....../...............................................\
...============================== ..... <- Heatercore
....................................................|+|
....................................................|+|...... <- Barbs

a pic would be a lot clearer.....

are you saying there is 1 in between the edge of the blowhole and the back of the case? can you put the core in any orientation? (i.e. barbs ar the rear, barbs at the front, barbs at either side?) or are there other constraints...

the dtek shroud is: 1 3/8" X 6" x 5 7/8"
the pro core is 6"W x 7.25"H X 2"

so you have an overlap of about 15mm either side of the blowhole (on the sides of the rad) and that plus a total of 1.375" in the other direction (mainly at the end with the barbs)

coolingworks make a shroud for these cores:
http://www.coolingworks.com/coolshourd.htm

you could always make your own shroud suitable for your setup...
http://www.procooling.com/articles/html/how_to_make_a_composite_air_du.php

LOL, I'm using an iMac right now - no Paint (my 'computer' is halfway between a bunch of pieces and a computer right now). Of 4 computers in the house, only mine is a PC. The rest are all iMacs. The rest of my family is composed entirely of Macsters. Feel my pain. Think of the dinner-table conversations ;)

(AAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH)

That aside, I need the amount of space around the 120mm blowhole that the Heatercore requires at the rear (not the barbed side).

1337 ascii skills though felinusz

Thanks ;)

I made the following picture to help explain the measurement I need, and the type of shroud I need if the radiator happens to be too big with a typical 'centered' shroud ('centered' like the one DTEK sells, not 'slanted').

(Explanatory text is in the image):

Attachments

• untitled-1 copy.jpg
    untitled-1 copy.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 101
EDIT:
================
are you saying there is 1 in between the edge of the blowhole and the back of the case?

You nailed it, I have about an inch (a little less) between the edge of the blowhole I have cut, and the back of the case, as it was originally intended for a BIX.

Installing the radiator with the barbs facing towards the side of the case would be fine (I have a tall Chieftec Dragon Full Tower), and any orientation is alright, so long as there is room for hosing arout my PSU.

I have modified my case so that the power Supply lies flat - not vertically like it does in the stock case, and I have added a window in the rear of the case, in the hole made by removal of the stock PSU bracket.

I could potentially install the radiator standing vertically *above* the Powersupply, and drill a blowhole in the plexiglass window I have made for the rear of the case above the PSU.

I just measured, and I have 7 inches of vertical space above my flat-lying PSU. Make that 6 inches, if a 120mm fan is installed in the top blowhole.

This EDIT is so big, I'm just going to make a new post instead.

felinusz said:
EDIT:
================

You nailed it, I have about an inch (a little less) between the edge of the blowhole I have cut, and the back of the case, as it was originally intended for a BIX.

Installing the radiator with the barbs facing towards the side of the case would be fine (I have a tall Chieftec Dragon Full Tower), and any orientation is alright, so long as there is room for hosing arout my PSU.

I have modified my case so that the power Supply lies flat - not vertically like it does in the stock case, and I have added a window in the rear of the case, in the hole made by removal of the stock PSU bracket.

I could potentially install the radiator standing vertically *above* the Powersupply, and drill a blowhole in the plexiglass window I have made for the rear of the case above the PSU.

I just measured, and I have 7 inches of vertical space above my flat-lying PSU. Make that 6 inches, if a 120mm fan is installed in the top blowhole.

This EDIT is so big, I'm just going to make a new post instead.

no prob with the barbs at the side - at the front wouldn't fit...

the "slant" is 15mm on each side* - a couple of mms less at the top/bottom... then there apears to be a small tank below the finned area and a larger tank above with the barbs attached, which total 1.375"...

* note that thats calculated not measured - rad is 6" wide = 150mm less 120 fan leaves 30mm i.e. 15mm a side... but as you have almost an inch to play with i'd be very confidant it'd fit...

a dangerden core is 1/4" wider so would be a tighter fit :(

Aha, so the radiator should fit my blowhole 'sideways' with a DTEK customs, or Coolingworks shroud installed. :)

To help even explain more, here is a picture of the blowhole itself (shiny steel because I have sanded the case in preperation for a mirrored black powder coating).

A dead PSU is in the picture, to give an idea of the space available when everything is installed.

As an aside: I may have just messed up my 9800 PRO when I reinstalled it in my machine to use Paint on my computer (I forgot it's power cable, and it's crashing 3DMark now). Stupid paint. Stupid me. (EDIT: driver re-installation fixed it) :(

Thanks a lot for the help, should be an interesting, and very crowded setup when it's all done.

Attachments

• aa.jpg
    aa.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
Back