• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NF2: ultra or 400-AL : power question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gungeek

Looking at the 2 mother board pics, it looks like the 400-AL has a 2-phase power convertor. The ulta-AL looks like a 3-phase conversion. Is there any practical difference between 2 vs. 3 phase?

Will the 400-AL overclock as well as the more expensive DFI boards?

Is there any noticable difference between the 2 other than level of features and dual vs. single channel memory?

Buckstitch said:
Get the NFII ULTRA INFINITY it is better then those two.

2 vs 3 phase?
:confused:

I agree the ultra infinity (what a name:D) is better, but it's $34 more expensive. I'm still looking and thinking.

One negative about the 400-AL is the mounting screws. It looks like their are only 5 total and the center of the side with IDE connectors isn't supported at all; maybe a sacrifice to making the board smaller. It looks 3 inches less deep compared to a full-size ATX board. I would at least try to put in a nylon standoff under that side to reduce board flex when installing memory sticks.

The 2 vs 3 phase refers to the power converter (DC to DC) taking 12V and making 1.65 (Vcore). In theory, the more phases used reduces the voltage ripple at the output which is easier to filter. The other advantage is spreading the Vcore power over more components; i.e. less heat load for each component. That's the theory, I was asking about practical differences of 2 vs. 3 phases for PCs.

Back