• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Switching to NF7-S from my A7N8X ...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

blazer99

I've been havin' a tough (but fun) time getting my combo of mobo/cpu/ram to O/C well ... cpu requires 1.8v just to get to 2200 mHz ... ram won't go beyond 205 @ 2.9v (without getting errors in memtest). I'm tempted to blame my a7n8x (in combo with my barton) for the "weakness".

I've been told the NF7-S is a GREAT o/c'rs board, so I shopped around and found a great deal on an NF7-S (rev. 2) mobo (Anitec Computers / Vancouver, BC) ... so what the heck I ordered one ... it arrived this morning.

So if anyone has any advice for my "switch-over" (specifically any bios setting tweaks) to my new NF7-S from my current A7N8X, please let me know. Ideally, if there was a "definitive NF7-S o/c'g guide", I'd sure appreciate reading it.

Hoping you'll welcome me to your club ... Thanks for your input ...
Cheers.

i don't think you'll be disappointed but if a cpu has reached it's limit on a certain board i doubt it would do better on the next...

i myself switched from the a7n8x to nf7-s 2.0 and i never looked back...

1 thing for sure though is that you'll be able to achieve a much much higher fsb....

I've had it boot & load to windows at 10.5 X 216 (2268 mHz), but it wouldn't pass test #5 in MemTest86 :bang head
It would pass every other memtest-test ... just that pesky test #5. So, my simple goal is to get past 205 (way past, with this ram) and pass that "darn" test 5.

Do you all use MemTest86? Do you pass every test? What about at higher FSB's ... any trouble passing test #5?

OMG good switch, i went through 3 of those goc|c|am asus's, then bought a abit and went faster for cheaper. The asus' just seem to disagree with alot of ps's.

just turn off cpu thermal throttling, spread spectrum, cpu disconnect, and pci speed enhance and you should be in business.

itim100 ...

Ya, that's the kinda stuff I'm lookin' for!
And thank you, for the encouragement.

The computer's been very busy for the last (and next) few days, so I'll likely be making the switch-over, early this week.

Can you give me some clue as to how to best set the "CPU FSB DRAM Ratio"? I would suspect that this should be like 1 / 1 (100% in the case of ASUS boards), but there are many choices which "equal" 1 / 1 ... like 3 / 3 ... 4 / 4 ... etc. So which one?

Thanx again!
:D

Don't touch that ratio leave it at 1:1 or auto. The NForce2 chipset doesnt like the ratio. I find setting the AGP and the CPU FSB ratio to Auto is more stable.

I agree. On the ABIT board, it's my understanding, their is no actual 1:1 setting ... but there are settings equal to 1:1, like 3:3, 4:4, 5:5, or 6:6 ... maybe I'm missing something here?

Another way to ask that particular question is ... what's the difference between 3:3 and 6:6?

Thank you Carmine!

But it begs the question ... why do they offer so many "1:1" choices (cuz it's kinda confusing)? I've read in some articles and posts where they said 3:3 is best ... some others believe it should be at 6:6.

Back