• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gurus wanted for New Rig Specs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ClarkJeff

OK, Gurus, I'm building a new rig, primarily for video editing, but will also have to do some gaming, of course :) I was planning to go with the ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe, a P4 3G, 1G Ram, and some ATI Radeon 9800 Pro. I'm looking for stability over OC at this point, although would like to be able to OC a little WITH STOCK COOLING (feel like I got more bang for my buck). It's my understanding that the ASUS can "automatically" OC a little. I've scoured the message board looking for the "best" configuration and am now more confused than ever. Should I go with a 3G, 2.6G, or 2.4G CPU? I've read that others have suggested that it's easy to get a 2.4G/2.6G to go at least 3G. Once that's answered, whose memory should I go with? It appears that OCZ and Mushkin are the favorites. Do I need PC3500 or PC4200 memory now. I'd like to spend around $1000. Sorry for all of the questions. I usually spec/build my own systems, but things keep changing so quickly.... THANKS FOR ANY INPUT!!

Jeff Clark
[email protected]

Okay, it's very easy to get a 2.4C to 3.0+ with stock cooling provided your RAM can keep up. As you want stability over the overclock, I suggest getting a 2.6C so you don't overclock as high yet you get better than stock memory bandwidth. I would also suggest picking up PC4000 memory, preferably chips made with Hynix 4.3ns chips.

~THT

Back