• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Attention to all those that have kingston HyperX PC3500 CH-5

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

blackjackel

In the past two days of bad experiences with this ram, i figured out what was wrong.

This chip does NOT like voltage, I repeat, Do not give this chip more than stock voltage when OC'ing.

If you give it more than stock voltage it will spit out errors at you, you have been warned!

Currently i have it running @ 220FSB with the lowest voltage my NF7 allows, i think its 2.5 or something.

I had it at 2.9 and memtest would run stable but prime would spit out errors at me, and i couldnt figure out why...

I have the same stick that runs memtest error free 220fsb with stock timings (7,3,3,2) at stock voltage (2.6vdimm). To be memtest error free at 225fsb, same timings, I had to increase to the next voltage step (2.7vdimm). It would make errors at stock voltage.

I don't really understand what you are saying. Increasing the voltage was a necessary step to pass memtest at 225fsb.

Prime95 stability is a tricky thing at these high overclocks. It could be your power supply causing the problem when increasing voltages. It could be the northbridge too.

A lot of people say Prime95 is crap. I was once tempted to believe them. But it occurs to me, I'll bet most of these systems will run Prime no problem at stock (no overclock). That would tell me that if it fails when overclocking, there must be some sort of stability problem. Sure your system doesn't have to be Prime stable, but its nice. :)

I don't think Prime95 is crap but it could be VERY picky. It has ****ed me off more than my wife :D

I ran some test last night with my stick and guess what? I started out @ 11 x 217 with 2.7V and memtest got two errors. Fine - So I increased to 2.8V, now I got ten errors. I set it back to 2.6V (stock voltage) and NO ERROR.

Having said that, I still could not push my system beyond 11 x 200 and be stabled with Prime95. Now you know why I hate Prime95. Can't live with it - Can't live without it either.

I also believe that going beyond 217FSB, you are likely to have to increase Vdimm to achieve stability. It just too bad I can't experiment it first hand.

Back