• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Trying to choose RAM for AI7 - Please help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JohnnyCNote

I've been reading here and on other forums, on the Abit site, etc. etc., and all I get is more confused. Here's what I'm looking to build:

Abit AI7
1 gb RAM
P4 3.0 c
Plus the other h/w listed below

I'm not looking to do any serious overclocking. I mainly use my PC for DVD ripping and some audio applications. I'd like to limit my RAM cost to $200, but would be happy to spend less.

I'd really appreciate any suggestions anyone could provide.

Thanks!

I say that the best bargain for about $200 would be 2X512 Kingston HyperX PC3000. The pair I have does better than my OCZ PC3500. It would probably even handle a modest overclock at 1:1 ratio.

Thanks for the reply! Here's another question, is there much advantage to getting the 3.0c over a 2.8c? Would it make more sense to get the 2.8c and spend the difference on RAM, which would allow a modest overclock. I'd like to have something over 3GHz, just so I can say I've gotten out of the 2.x GHZ range.....

If you're on a budget (and who ain't?), go for the 2.8C because it'll O/C on average to 3.4 gig nowadays with decent cooling. Some folks (like me) have gotten 3.5 gig. That KHX PC3000 RAM I suggested will work just fine with the 2.8C, although you'll probably have to drop down to the 5:4 ratio above about 3.1 gig. With higher vdimm, since most of those KHX PC3000 are BH-5 chips, you might make it up to 3.2 gig using the 1:1 ratio.

also keep an eye out at bb and cc for kingston valueram. they still have sticks floating around with bh6 chips on em(i got some). If u catch a sale and get lucky and find some bh6 chips u can end up with a gig of really fine 2225 overclocking ram for 130-150.00. it would be perfect for a 2.8...

Most 800 bus CPUs will handle a 3.2 gig overclock using the stock cooler without any problem as long as you use low vcore.

Last edited:
the memory batboy mentioned would be one of the two i'd suggest.
the other being two Buffalo 3700 512MB sticks (BH-5).
but for a few bucks more you get heat spreaders with the HyperX.

my vote goes to a 2.4C. bump the FSB up to 250mhz and your crusin at 3Ghz.
that was my initial goal when i built my rig :p.

my stock cooler (with AS3) was good up to 3.2Ghz with the case open
and a house fan blowing in. a duct (thanks Ed) that gives the heatsink fresh air is a
good way to go. a duct with a fan is even better.

HTH
rich

I agree with Batboy here. A 2.8C is probably the CPU for you. They'll easily go to 3.2GHz, and if you get serious about overclocking in the future, you could possibly run it up to 3.5GHz with a 250fsb 1:1 ratio.

5:4 is a good setting to use, and I second the vote for Kingston PC3000. Very good memory for the price - but the Buffalo memory that was linked is also a good deal, and you can bet it won't last for long.

heatsinks are just for looks, they do very little for overclocking IMO..

Im running giel ddr500 @ 1:1 divider 3.1 volts 270fsb and stable
gives me like 260 something ddr mhz

Geil is one of those memory brands that seems to get overlooked, but it's also a good option. Their PC4000 is very reasonably priced.

Exactly how much overclocking do you plan on doing?

theres the ? how much and yes geil is good ram but a hit or miss deal with them i only paid 133 bucks through newegg. also im not totally sure about this butdont 256 stick clock a little better than the 512

Back