• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mushkin PC3500 vs. PC4000

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

extremecorvette

Disabled
I've been looking for another 512 stick of Black L2 memory for some time and I think I might give up. I'm thinking of buying the Mushkin PC4000. Do you think I'll lose any performance going from 2-2-2-5 with PC3500 to 3-4-4-8 PC4000. I was told that the PC4000 has 4ns chips, will that make up the diffrence?

Any time you loosen timmings that much you loose performance, whether or not it will be noticable will depend on your apps or programs utilizing memory. The pc4000 uses 5ns componnents and mushkin hand picks those that perform @4ns levels the same as they hand picked the best of the bh-5 chips they used in their level 2 modules. The 222 specials use bh-6 winbond which are capable of performiing almost as well as bh-5 with increased voltage. I'd go with the 222 because of the tighter timmings. But that's just my opinion. I'm not an expert on memory but I did stay at a Holiday Inn express once.

I'm not an expert on memory but I did stay at a Holiday Inn express once.
LOL! Too funny!

I would go with some more 3500 since your using them in an AMD system. For an Intel I would say go for the 4000 because timings aren't as big a deal with them. Just keep watching the classifieds and you will see a stick come up. It will be worth the wait.

Back