• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I need some assistance..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

noble2501

I am building an computer of some old and some new parts. Its not going to game use so dont laugh.
I got a lucky star 5AMVP3 mother board and an amd k-6 processor and a 80 gig samsung hd. Here is the problem, I can't get the motherboard to find the 80 gig hd. I tried using a smaller 30 gig hd, I have xp on, but it won't boot from it. It just reads it as primary slave (what ever I do) and after it has read the devices, it just stands there it won´t load the os. I was thinking about flashing the bios, but the lucky star site must be down or something because it won't load.
I can't find the bios flash from anywhere else. Do you know a site where I could get it, or better yet can you tell me will this help me at all?

Any and all help will be greatly appriciated! This is a crisis!

It sounds like your IDE controller doesn't support large drives. A bios flash probably won't help. Probably the best way to solve this problem is to get a cheap PCI IDE controller card. This would work well if you can set it as the primary boot device in the BIOS.

most drives come with install software that not only let you prep the drive but have some sort of utility that will allow using larger drives on boards that don't support them. it might or might not help but it's worth a shot. check manufacturers website.

also, make sure you connecting the drive correctly and all the jumpers are set right.

Oh yeah, I forgot.. I was looking into the prices of IDE controller cards (about 50 euros(. And decided simply to buy a better motherboard at the same price. I put my old processor to that and bought myself an athlon xp 2400.
So end is well all is well.

Back