• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Ideas on How to mount my DIY GPU block

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Onlypro

After building my first gpu block I realized the holes in the raedon 9500 are so tiny... I cant find long enough skinny bolts to fit in my block to mount it on my saph radeon 9500np.

How can I mount this block to my card!?

gpu2.jpg

I need Ideas!!

zip ties would be one of the only options i can think of if you can't find any screws small enough.

You can get fairly skinny thread rod at hardware stores. Then cut to legnth and get some nuts and bolts for it.

You can fit 4-40s and M2 screws through those hole, I beleve it was M2 that fit.

Jon

Heh. Jon always has the answer :D

Where can I find a 4-40 thats 1 1/4" long? got any ideas what they would actually be used for?

Also, whats an M2 screw?

i found 1" long 4-40 in orchard (us) probably dont' have any there.. :-/
any hardware and supplies store should have them.. just ask for machining screws, bolt and springs.

I had the same problem when I built my fx5900 block. To remedy it I added soldered mounts to the corners of the base and drilled them. Then I was able to use shorter 4-40 screws. But I think the ati cards have clearance probs with the heatsinks.

Onlypro said:
Heh. Jon always has the answer :D

Where can I find a 4-40 thats 1 1/4" long? got any ideas what they would actually be used for?

Also, whats an M2 screw?

For 4-40 screws, try http://www.mcmaster.com/ ... they'll probably have those. Also, when I mounted my block, I used small o-rings to insulate the screw head from the board. Also, you could use 4-40 threaded spacers if you want to use a screw from the other side to hold a bracket or whatever. Also, brass 4-40 thumbnuts might give a good, finished look.

An M2 screw is the designation for a Metric screw with a nominal diamter of 2mm. Good luck.

KK

Yeagers has the 4-40s, screws, they are about 1 1/2" long
not in the bins, they are in the little boxes on top of the bins

course, I hope that all yeagers have them laid out the same, :p

I just did a test mount using 2x 4" tie straps in each hole
and the ends of 2 other tie straps to fasten the heatsink down on the other ends.

So. I am using 8x 4" tie straps in total.

It seems to be the hassle-free answer to my question!
I'll post pics when i get a chance.

Back