• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do you fill a Res. system?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Typically it has a lid, or an opening which you uncap. Just pour water in.

Was there something more specific you were wondering?

The res will be mounted on the bottom of the case next to the pump. The pump will pump water up to the rd mounted on the top and then flow down through the CPU block. Do i turn on the pump and continually fill the res until water comes back ?

Just fill the reservior with water 'till it's full.
Then cycle the pump, but be ready to unplug it when it starts to get noisy...that's your tip that the pump has emptied it's supply of water and is sucking air. The pump won't explode, but it's not too healthy for it.
Add water until the reservior is full again.
Cycle the pump again.

Continue until the pump can be left on without sucking air, and the reservior stays fairly full.
Then you can start to work making sure the heatercore/radiator has no air trapped in it. I pick mine up and "spank" it to burp out the trapped air. The pump will push the bubbles to the reservior.
Large reserviors like mine don't need to cycle the pump on and off, because it easily holds more water than filling the tubes/blocks requires. If you have a small reservior, then you'll need to turn the pump on and off to get the water worked through it all.

Keep an eye on the water level for a few days, but always keep an eye out for leaks. Once it's run at least overnight without one single droplet forming at any connections or along the seams of the waterblocks, then you may cautiously boot the system. If anything funky goes on durring boot, shut down quickly and look for any water that isn't where it belongs.

Then grab a frosty Coke and congratulate yourself on a job well done!

Last edited:
Back