• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How much ram do I really need

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cold_PhyrE

Registered
I see people with like 2 gigs of RAM and its cool and all but do I really need that much?

I mean when windows is idle im usually using like 100-110 MBs and thats with a few things running.

Then when i play games im guess another 50 or so is used, maybe more, under 200 though i would assume.

And I know that the more RAM you have the less virtual memory you will use.

My main question is am I going to see a HUGE difference between 2 x 256 RAM and 2 x 512?

Cuz good ram is $$$$ as you all know

Today 2x256 just gets you by if you do any gaming. A year(or less) from now you're gonna need 1gb just to play newer games and if you do any video editing you need 1gb anyway.

Final answer: Yes you will see adifference between 512k or 1gb of ram.

Depending on what you run and what you do yes it can make a difference. Is it needed, not really, you can run with 512 all day and be perfectly satisfied.

Thats cool.

Because Ive been buying a bunch of stuff lately already I think ill hold off with only 512 for now, and upgrade later as need.

Ive been look at this stuff

KHX4000/256M HyperX : KHX4000-256M HyperX PC4000 DDR500 for Dual-channel or overclocking

Its a pretty good price.

Would 2 x this stuff be better than 2 x 512 PC3200 sticks?

Back