• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

still need help after reading all the stickys

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Grampa

help!!!!after reading all the stickys,:bang head still dont know what to get ,so many choices,so many different timings

Right now I am about to build my first oced system,I would like to use it for folding and gaming,plus the mandatory web surfing.I plan on keeping it for a long time so I want it to last.I guess what confuses me all the different choices,I thought I knew what to get after reading the stickys and looking at most of the strings on memory over the last 2 days,I could just copy what others have in systems comparable to mine,but I want to make an informed decision ,not just follow the pack

what I want to know is should I just buy some corsair 3200 or should it be corsair ddr400 non-ecc unbuffered with cas latency:2-3-3-6-t1 2.6 volts 3.2 b/s bandwidth

well the second one u mentioned sounds like the xms to me.. and as what i have read, corsair xms is one of the best :D

What would you want your memory to do? What FSB are you looking to getting with your unlocked barton and NF7-S?

Basically, for AMD, not much can beat anything with Winbond chips. High quality CH-5 is a good choice if you cannot find BH-5 chips. But the problem is seemingly inconsistancy with Winbond CH-5 chips. You can purchase one stick and it will perform very well - 220's FSB w/ 2-3-2 timings - or you could get a bad stick and have it barely do 205 FSB w/ any timings.

Corsair XMS 3200 for ~$200 is a decent choice. But it may or may not perform well. But there also isn't much else to choose from.

Either way, I wouldn't recommend you spend over $200 on any Corsair out there now. And do not buy high-latency PC-3700+.

how do one of these sound corsair xms 512mb ddr 3200 non-ecc unbuffered 2-3-3-6 1t 3.2 bandwidth 64mx64 bit..or this corsair xms twin pack 256mbx2 ddr pc3200 nonecc unbuffered 2-3-3-6 t1 2.6v 3.2 gb/sbandwidth 32m x 64 and what are the differences other than 1 stick as opposed to 2,I am aware that my mobo will accept either of these,although it will be in different configuirations,but how it will effect the performance is unknown untill I try it,does this sound like a good starting point

2 sticks are dual chan, performance is way better BUT it is advisable to use dual chan ram if ur mobo supports it :)

the NF7-s does support dual-channel,and I figuire that later I can upgrade to 1 gig by adding 1 stick of 512 into 0 position and moving the other channel

You only really want to run 2 sticks of RAM in the Nforce2 MBs.

Its hard with the NF7 to get good ram speeds with a stock MB. If you get BH-5 chips its almost a waste, unless you do the V-Dimm mod on the board. The stock 2.9v is not enough to see the full potential of BH-5 chips. If you are not doing the V-Dimm mod I would get the fastest ram you can afford. Say some PC4000 or something along those lines. Granted its not going to run the tighests timmings but it is guranteed to run its rated speeds at a voltage that the NF7 can supply.

On the other hand if you decide to do the V-Dimm mod than find some nice RAM with BH-5. I would look into the Mushkin Black lvl II, or something else that is known to have BH-5.

Thats the word with the NF7.

dang,that looks easy,my brother has alot of tools for pcb work,looks like it would be a good time to do it right now before I mount the board for the first time.,.,.,thanks for the link

IMOG said:
Is that XMS you mention better than this Mushkin?

And are you talking a gig or 512MB?

Winbond BH-6 chips found on that Mushkin are usually better performers then CH-5 chips found on Corsair XMS. But you still have to factor in the fact that that Mushkin costs $80 (2x512MB) more then Corsair XMS (w/ CH-5).

If you would be willing/able to put 3V+ into memory, then the BH-6 can perform to high expectations.

thanks Speed,I will be able to after doing the vdimm mod,and I would like to use mushkin,but because of my budget I will have to wait to get the mushkin,besides I need to learn alot before I am ready to do some serious ocing.so corsair 3200 xms it is.,.,I found some very good info about memory at corsairs website,helped me alot:D

Back