• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3 dimm slots?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cougar214

ok if ddr ram comes in pairs then how the hell am i going to use 3 dimms slots?......and if i use just the pair is that going to lower my fsb?.......can someone clear this up for me please......thanx people.:rolleyes:

DDR doesn't always come in pairs, just twin packs.

The more sticks you use the worse off your chances are for a high FSB.

DDR Ram doesn't "come in pairs" necessarily.
My board has 3 DIMM slots.
Slot #1 if I am only using one stick.
Slots 2 and 3 if using two.

Your manual should explain it for you.

dead_man311 said:
you might get a better answer in the Memory section. if you asked a mod they will move this to there for you.
Or I might just find it myself and move it. *Push*

Not all DDDR is dual channel, dual channel bords will come with four DIMM slots or two matched i.e 2and 3 and slot 1 is for using a solo module.
DoM

ok so i put it in the wrong spot in the forum....lol...my bad......ok so if i use 2 521 sticks of ddr will i get my whole 533 fsb?.....or will i need to put in a 3rd stick?i understand what your saying domstar about the solo slot but how will i know this and which slot will be the solo?

cougar214 said:
ok so i put it in the wrong spot in the forum....lol...my bad......ok so if i use 2 521 sticks of ddr will i get my whole 533 fsb?.....or will i need to put in a 3rd stick?i understand what your saying domstar about the solo slot but how will i know this and which slot will be the solo?

You can use any slot you want when using a single stick. When you go dual channel, use two sticks with the same specifications, and stick themn in the two slots with the same color - usually seperated by a different colored slot. This will enable dual channel.

Hope this helps.

domstar said:
Not all DDDR is dual channel, dual channel bords will come with four DIMM slots or two matched i.e 2and 3 and slot 1 is for using a solo module.
DoM

ALL DDR ram is dual channel aka pc2100 runs at 133mhz but double that and you get the magic 266, pc3200 runs at 200 and double that you get the magic 400 and so forth.

Go to your local computer store and you will see the majority of ram being sold to bet single pack not dual packs. The dual packs are for dual channel mobos but getting 2 of the same ram is the same thing Normally of buying a dual pack.

Not all Dual Channel Mobos have 4, some will have 3 slots as well. Normally the 1 and 2 or 1 and 3 will enable dual channel if you put in 2 Ram sticks. 1 ram stick will turn the mobo into a single channel.

Now the question about the 3rd ram slot. If you stick a 3rd stick into your dual mobo, that is basically telling the mobo to go into single channel mode.

I am not sure about 4 diim slot dual channel mobos.

I have had used Epox, abit and ASus mobos and all have 3 slots and are all dual channel AMD NFORCE2 boards.

The Via chipset mobos might be different since I have not tried them. Most Nforce2 boards only have 3 dimm slots, I've seen Via with 4 but again I have no personaly experience.

Since you have a 3rd dimm slot, sticking in 3 ram sticks will make the board run on single channel.

so i guess that meens it takes 3gigs of standard ddr ram?....in which case it wouldnt matter id i used 2 or 3 sticks?

so does all this meen i can use 1 gig of ram and still get my whole 533 fsb?......if thats the case then i have no worries......lol

Back