• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How loose is too loose?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jiggamanjb

I have my timings at 11-2-2-2.5 right now and my FSB at 185 mem voltage at 2.9. I am getting all kinds of errors in memtest though. So back to the real question which is : how loose should I go on my timings to try to stay at 185 FSB? Any other info about my system should be in my siggy.

There really isn't a limit as to how loose they can be, but there is kind of one to how loose they SHOULD be. With performance in mind, I wouldn't go below 2.5-3-3-11. Actually, 2.5-2-2-11 is considered "tight" by most standards, with 2-2-2-11 being the tightest you can usually run. Dropping down to 2.5-3-3-11 should achieve much higher overclockability MHz wise.

OK, sounds great. I think I'll try 2.5-3-3-11 and see were that gets me. As for the format that I wrote it in, I had no idea what is the "right" way.

2.5-2-2-11 is not loose by any stretch of the imagination! They're pretty much as tight as you can get, other than 2-2-2-11.

2.5-2-2-11 is BETTER than 2-3-2-11 (the 3 being tRCD or more colloquially, RAS->CAS Delay). It is a common misconception that Cas Latency is the end-all and be-all of memory timings, but it's been shown quite conclusively that RAS->CAS delay impacts performance more.

As for order, *most* people write it in terms of:

CAS LATENCY - tRCD - THE OTHER ONE :p - tRAS, although sometimes tRCD and "the other one" are interchanged. lol.

Back