• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

loud evercool fan

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Raider84

I just got the common aluminum evercool fan, which is supposed to pump out 80CFM at 30dba. But i plugged it in and its really lound. Do you have to 7v this fan to make it quiet? If so can someone point me to a how-to guide?

Easy enough :)

Simply switch the wiring so that the fan is drawing power from the red power wire, instead of the yellow one.

thanks for the reply, but my fan doesnt use a molex connector unless i run it through the adapter that came with it. Any easy way to 7v it when it uses the little three prong connector? The one commonly used with heatsink fans?

the three prong connecto only provides +12 -12 and ground, you need 5v and 12v to get 7v..
if u are good with electronic stuff, or know someone that is, you can connect a resister in between the red wire, thats the only way (unless u purchase a fan controller.)

My bad, sorry! :-/

I accidentally described how to run the fan at 5V - not 7V like you asked :(.

Thats a great little page Korndog :)

Raider84 - no there is not. You need to hook the fan up to a Molex plug in order to run it at 7V, or 5V. The 3-pin plug only has a wire for ground, a wire for power, and a wire for RPM monitering, it simply draws power from whichever molex wire it is hooked up to. That said, a Variable resistor, or a fanbus can control the voltage going into the fan for you.

You could always just switch the wires in the adaptor you have, so that it is drawing power from the appropriate lines - allowing your fan to run at 7V, or 5V.

Are you sure it isn't vibration or simply wind hitting the grill or something? Because those fans are normally extremely quiet. I have two and they are loud when pushing the air through the wire mesh on the back of my case and pulling air through the hard drive rack, but when they are not being restricted I can barely hear them. Maybe you got a bad fan?

lol, I guess since mine are in my Sonata, I don't hear them as much. I used to have 5 30 dba 80mm fans and I couldn't stand them. But for some reason these I can handle. You should give the adjustable Enermax 120mm fans a try. They are rated at 94cfm at 28 dba and a lot less on the second setting.

Korndog said:
30dba is loud for me, lol
i guess it all depends on what you're used to..

I think it more depends on how far the truth was stretched when the manufacturer wrote down the noise rating.

30dBA is not loud, or at least a real 30dBA is not.

good point mr. cather.
manfac. ratings are usually undependible..
but personally, i really can't stand any of my 30-32dba fans..
*sorry if i go off topic..* my father did a study on decibles and human hearing for his master degree in medicine, he reaseach shows that a background of 30+dba can affect your sleep patterns at night, like most of us here, we have our computers in our rooms. Also, any subjected to long term background noise of 40dba or higher tends to affect you mentally, although not loud enough to effect you physically (ear drum damage). I maybe paranoid but even with a 'rated' computer of 27dba, i can't keep my computer on and sleep.

30dBA is not loud, or at least a real 30dBA is not.

30dB, to give you some idea, is a quiet office, a soft wisper, an empty library, a quiet rural field, to name a few comparisons. By definition, almost, you wouldn't notice a 30dB fan's noise, not 10 meters away, not 1 meter away, unless you really tried. Soft background music is normally around 40 dBs. A typical refridgerator is in the mid-40s dB when you are 2 meters away. You would probably notice a fan that loud, but only if it was really close to you, and it would be an individual thing as to who would find it annoying. A vacuum cleaner is about 70dBs to the operator. I guess the point is that fan sellers can hold a sound meter just about anywhere to get just about any reading they want to put on the specs. Plus, the fact that most sound meters avai don't measure lower than 50dBs makes it hard for the average fan buyer to know what's going on. The Evercools are louder than an empty library. I have two of them and they are tolerable (to me) but not noiseless. Finally, if you set a fan up on your desk outside the case and run it, it is going to sound way quieter than when attached to your case or heater core fan shroud.

I found a program called SpeedFan, that works. I have it running at 80% or 3500 rpms, though that sounds really high, id guess its around 1800 rpm. Any other fan speed control programs out there?

Back