• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Any such thing as a 256 MB SIMM?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dnewhous

Disabled
The reason I am asking is that I just bought a 256MB DIMM off of ebay and it doesn't work in my computer. My computer (Dell L667r) has 2 memory slots and is supposed to have a memory capacity of 512MB. I assumed that 256 MB on one chip was only available through a DIMM. I am exploring different possibilities to make sure it is the RAM chip and not my computer that is the problem.

A search on google reveals your computer uses PC133 SDRAM... DIMM's. SIMM's are completely different and much smaller from older computers. You might have gotten a bad chip considering you bought it off ebay :rolleyes:. Some boards don't support high desity ram, which your's might be, but it should still work, but only show up as half as much.

If you can try that chip in another computer it would be very good so you could see if indeed it is a faulty chip then ask for a refund.

According to Dell's information my computer uses PC100 memory. That's what I bought before and it worked and that's what I bought now. I'll stick with that regardless of whatever information you got off of google.

Thanks for the straightening out about DIMM vs. SIMM. I

I have a computer available that does take PC133 memory. Will PC100 memory work?

hmm there is but some mobo chooses simm, did u try installing by itself? maybe its not compatible with the other one :)

There is no question my computer uses DIMMs and only DIMMS, I didn't look at the entire Dell spec sheet before.

As for whether the RAM chip will work in other circumstances - I've decided I don't care. If I had bought this chip at a store I would be allowed to return it without any problems. I will hold ebay sellers to the same standard.

I will admit, I have given out my share of neutral feedback and ****ed some people off on ebay in the past. I love me.

And I know how to get people's accounts suspended if it comes down to it.

PC133 and PC100 ram are the same thing, only pc133 is rated to run a little faster. You have a P3 667Mhz in that computer, which is on a 133Mhz FSB so it uses PC133, 133Mhz RAM, not PC100 or 100MHz as Dell states.

So in a lot of cases, PC100 will run at 133Mhz, but NOT always, so it might just be the ram can't handle 133Mhz.

Well, I'll be damned. And PC133 RAM is cheaper! Thanks for the help.

I have learned quite a bit from this adventure. I've also snooped through Samsung and Kinsgton's web pages and have learned that there is a whole set of high-end RAM available for new computers that I never ran across doing searches on google.

The stuff is pricey (Kingston's Hyper-X memory). It's not another boondoggle like RDRAM is it?

PC133 and PC100 ram are the same thing, only pc133 is rated to run a little faster. You have a P3 667Mhz in that computer, which is on a 133Mhz FSB so it uses PC133, 133Mhz RAM, not PC100 or 100MHz as Dell states.

but i noticed when i install my pc133 on my intel mobo, it doesnt boot up... i guess there are mobo's that doesnt support it, coz my asus mobo pc100 still works with pc133 ram...

What is the fastest Pentium and AMD chip with a 100MHz FSB? I want to know because when I get to sell my surplus PC100 RAM on ebay I want to explicitly state what the maximum speed CPU it should be used with so as to avoid this sort of problem.

dnewhous said:
What is the fastest Pentium and AMD chip with a 100MHz FSB? I want to know because when I get to sell my surplus PC100 RAM on ebay I want to explicitly state what the maximum speed CPU it should be used with so as to avoid this sort of problem.

On the AMD side, the 1.4Ghz Tbird and the 1.3Ghz Duron are the fastest available at 100Mhz FSB. On the Intel side its a little more confusing, there are some really crap P4 boards that support SDRAM, so prolly the max would be 2.4Ghz P4 or Celeron. But this is not really a good way guage it, because there are quite a few slower cpu's using DDR or RDRAM under those. Most computer's nowaday use DDR, but you'll find the odd OEM selling really cheap stuff still with SDRAM in it.

Its odd how most boards will take faster ram than listed but some won't, I have an OLD K6 200Mhz system kickin around here with PC133 in it.... nearly the speed of the cpu itself, but I have seen some much newer boards that wouldn't take PC133 :confused:

just curious if that ram you got is maybe registered ecc and that is why the board wont take it try putting the numbers off the stick into google and see what its specs are

I couldn't find a listing for it! The add states that it came from something called a "Pavilion." The brand name on the chips is "Infineon." Apparently some kind of cheapo OEM RAM.

This was the first and last time I try to be cheap with computer equipment.

dnewhous said:
I couldn't find a listing for it! The add states that it came from something called a "Pavilion." The brand name on the chips is "Infineon." Apparently some kind of cheapo OEM RAM.

This was the first and last time I try to be cheap with computer equipment.

HP makes a line of computer's they call thier Pavillion series, probably was a used stick from one of them. Infineon is generally pretty good ram, but as anything with computer's, things can happen.

If you can read the #'s off of your old ICs I can help you identify what kind it is. Have you used Sandra to try reading the SPD?

Don't get pc133 for your dell box. Its motherboards chipset (i810e) doesn't support anything but pc100. If you install ram faster than the motherboard supports for a normal motherboard it just underclocks the ram, but on boards with that chipset it just doesnt work. You are lucky if you get to windows, and as soon as you run a program the screen will freak out, artifact all over and the computer will crash. Trust me, I have experiences with dells L series. The cheapest parts imagingable are put in them, the motherboards so cheap it runs p3s with 133fsb at 100.

I think what this means is that I am lucky if I get anything to work in my computer.

Conclusion: Do not attempt to upgrade RAM.

Consequence: Getting latest versions of Musicmatch Jukebox and Quicktime to run on my system are hopeless.

I was hoping to extend the lifetime of this thing of mine a little bit longer with a new RAM chip. I have no such hope any longer.

What about SPD vs. non-SPD RAM? Is there a chance the problem with this RAM chip is that it is non-SPD?

How do I view the amount of memory currently installed on a computer in Windows XP? I just got a computer with this chip installed to boot up but I want to confirm that the extra memory is actually being used and not ignored.

Last edited:
Back