• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

KV7 shutdown problems....HELP!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

boggy

This problem is really really strange so Im hoping somebody here as come across it before.....

Ive just made a new computer with Abit KV7, 512ddr400, 2.4 Athlon XP, Geforcefx5200 PCI card and Belkin Wireless network PCI. Not overclocked just standard settings.

Everything was running fine for a couple of days although the wireless network to my laptop was unstable and very slow. Today it (computer) just suddenly shut down for no apparent reason and would not restart until I turned it off at the back for 20 seconds. From them on it stayed on for about 10 seconds before shutting down again.

I had a chance to look at CPU temps etc. and it was running normal temp of 45deg. Im sure its not a temp issue the cooler and sys fans (2 of them) are all running fine.

So I started stripping down the computer. I took out the CDrom/rw's and initally it worked and windows loaded up only to shut down 5 minutes later. I took out everything and finally the last card (PCI graphics card) and it worked... it didnt shut down so I changed to another older AGP card and everything worked perefectly for several hours even after rebuilding everything.

I presumed it was the card but no. Later in the day I connected to the wireless network via the laptop, enabling the network connection and yep the main computer shutdown and the laptop crashed. I disabled the netowrk card on the laptop and tried to restart the main computer and it wouldnt. I turned it off at the back and it came on and shut down again. I reset CMOS and it worked for 5 minutes before shutting down.

Ive been on the net looking for problems with abit and wirless but cant see any. How can a network effect the mobo in this way??? Surely taking out all the PCI cards again isnt the only way to fix this?

There are possibities I have figured out:

1. Sharing IRQs are sending the mobo loppy when network connects.
2. A manufacture fault in the board.
3. A dodgy 300w unit that cant handle the power,unlikely though.
4. I have a new Norton secruity/antivirus software running thats causing problems? Doubt it.
5. Win XP is a copy and microsoft have put malware in the updates. I do have 2 legit copies (1 for laptop 1 for main computer but they both are on hidden drives which I hate)

Any other suggestions? What really wierd is the fact it wont switch on again. It cant be overheating because it worked fine after I took everything apart and changed the GFxcard.

Please help im major stuck :(

Last edited:
Did u ever figure out what was making this shut off ?

Im having a random shutdown problem also it locks & or the monitor just shuts off & goes into sleep mode

This faking mobo is realy cranking me off !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back