• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

whitewater setup question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trdsw20

I had a question about the whiteater config. Does the "Y" "Wye" fitting have to go directly afe4r the CPU block. I m gonna probably chill the chipset as well and config purposes its really kickin me in my as$. If you guys have any input or creative ideas let me know.

No, it doesn't have to go right after. However, if you were to run one outlet straight to the Y with the other going to the chipset and then to the other end of the Y, you're going to have uneven backpressure, which is a bad thing.

yeah, unless you were going to restrict the 2 outputs exacly the same, its not a good idea to split them up. then one side would get more flow, which would mess up the dynamics of the block

Correct. It might be ok to put it after the block if you were going to run a block on each output, which would equalize the restriction like zip22 said. But you'd need three blocks to do that, and since you only have a chipset block, it wouldn't really work.

let me ask another question then Since there are 1 inputs goin into the WB and 2 coming out does that mean that there is only 50% of the flow coming out of both sides?
Basically whats happening is that Im habving a ***** of a time getting it to first look nice then function probably. I got this setup goin on a IC7-G and the NB and The CPU are just way too close to each other. any reccomendation on how to make this work propperly but still be pretty clean. Also my case is one of the chieftec antec whatever cases.

Correct, 50% of the original flow should technically be coming out of each of the exit barbs. However, if you were to restrict one exit barb with another waterblock and not restrict the other, you'd have something like 30% of the flow going through the second waterblock and 70% of the flow going through the unrestricted exit barb. Uneven back pressure on the waterblock and a lowered flow to the chipset block...not good.

Not sure how to make this work, unless you route your tubing farther away and then come back around to the chipset.

I've had a few questions related to this so I figured this would be the best place.

1. What if you wanted to use a NB and GPU cooler?

2. Could you use dual radiators either right off the block or after the NB and GPU? They would both have to be the same radiator and probally chipset cooler but would that work?

3. Would it be better to just use a wye and run them in series with a single radiator?

trdsw20 said:
let me ask another question then Since there are 1 inputs goin into the WB and 2 coming out does that mean that there is only 50% of the flow coming out of both sides?
Basically whats happening is that Im habving a ***** of a time getting it to first look nice then function probably. I got this setup goin on a IC7-G and the NB and The CPU are just way too close to each other. any reccomendation on how to make this work propperly but still be pretty clean. Also my case is one of the chieftec antec whatever cases.

Get your self another wye and run the two in parallel. I had the same problem and I solved it by running a longer length of tube. That helped some i eventually switched to a parallel setup that since I have a GPU and NB in the loop using 3/8" tube. You dont need much to cool that NB. Use 3/8" and run in parallel with your WW.

upstreamcurrent said:
I've had a few questions related to this so I figured this would be the best place.

1. What if you wanted to use a NB and GPU cooler?

2. Could you use dual radiators either right off the block or after the NB and GPU? They would both have to be the same radiator and probally chipset cooler but would that work?

3. Would it be better to just use a wye and run them in series with a single radiator?

1. You can do that. You'll end up with less flow than you could through the CPU since GPU and NB blocks tend to be restrictive. Your GPU and NB would run a tad warmer - not much though.

2. I wouldn't bother. It would be simliar too example 1. It can work but you won't gain much of anything. Parallel would work alot better for two rads. GPU and NB could use one rad while the CPU got it's own. Better temps.

3. My personal opinion is two use an extra wye and run them parallel. Seems to work better for me. I'm using 3/8" tube for my GPU, NB so the CPU gets most of the flow. My GPU and NB run cooler. My CPU temps dropped 1C but that could just be a better die contact or better application of tim. Im assumming the latter.

Running everything in series makes it easier to setup though. Your NB, GPU would be a tad warmer but not by much from what I seen. Though parallel works the best I think. I'm a parallel freak.;) Matter of personal preference really and which one is easier for you if your not anal about performance.

I might just let it go thorugh the NB first and see what kind of results I can get. then compare it too not having the NB at all and see what I want to do then.

Back