• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Solder blobs bad?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

William.E

hi all, ive been making a little copper pipe section to connect my rbx block to z-chipset block, i only had solder ring fittings to use and there are blobs of selder in the section, pretty big blobs, will this be bad in anyway, like will there be a reaction like with copper and aluminium?

~can i change my user name? i wish to be Tarzan, Lord of the jungle.

ahh ah ahhh (beats chest)

No, the solder won't react with anything.
But you might not want to leave them in there if they're BB's of solder (they'll injure the pump if they come loose). You can knock them loose with a piece of stiff wire (like a coat hanger).
If your just talking about puddled solder that's well attached, then no worries.

Make sure you clean the pipes well with dishsoap and nice hot water to remove any leftover flux, as it is an acid and will be bad in your water system, and turn your copper green.

lol.

As for the solder, it wont affect anything unless its affecting the flow of the water.

Jon

~and the Tarzan thing?

im going to clean my heatercore with some cola and was going to put the pipe in there, i cant clean it with a pipoe cleaner, its to bendy, so if i leave it to soak in soapy water after ive cola cleaned it and then give it a good rinse will that do?

Yeah, that should be nice and clean.

A piece of heavy wire, even copper power wire should work to force any bits of solder loose. The solder that drips down the pipe doesn't bond too tightly because it lacks the cleaning and the flux coat that the pipe joint gets.

Have fun!

I believe that only an administrator like Newbie_Doo can change your name here. You can search his name using the search button at the top of the page, then send him a nice PM to ask.

Diggrr said:
I believe that only an administrator like Newbie_Doo can change your name here. You can search his name using the search button at the top of the page, then send him a nice PM to ask.

Don't get your hopes up though. The admins don't like to change names, but it's not like you have 2000 post.

Back