• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question for NF7-S V2 owners.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OpenGL

I just ordered a NF7-S V2 and I was wondering if the nf7-s has a BIOS Death like the a7n8x does? where if you hit save and exit it will never boot again, even if you clear cmos and buy new battery ? Does it have the same problem where if you try to save your settings and exit the screen it will just be blank and you have to power off and on like 6 times before it finally starts ? This is my a7n8x board , the first one i sent back to asus and i got another one and that turned out to be like the first one. Just wondering if the nf7-s has similar problems.

Yes it does. This comes from excaliberpc.com where you can buy a back up bios chip.
With the introduction of v2.0, there is still no permanent fix from nVidia to solve BIOS 'Data Loss' issue. However, ABIT is now experimenting with one workaround solution. What it does is after BIOS is updated, it would initialize video BIOS one more time before saving CMOS setting. The noticeable difference compared to any previous BIOS release is that once user save and exit CMOS, it will initialize video BIOS and display the message ?BIOS saving warning message?, the power cycle would act like a power reset. In other words, it is an attempt to avoid BIOS ?Data Loss? problem by delaying saving BIOS/CMOS action.

Last saturday, I changed a setting in the BIOS and accidentaly shut it off that the BIOS saving warning screen, and had to RMA it because it wouldn't come back up. I've already ordered a back up bios chip so I don't have to mess with that again, and I'd recommend that you get one as well, or at least check to see if you have another board that will be compatiable for a hot flash.

Here's the link to the chip incase you want to get one.

Very cool thank you. Need to get one. So this replaces it right ? there is no way to fix the original ? so lets say you mess up on that one you need to get another ? thanks

i've yet to mess mine up, i'm too cheap to buy a back up bios chip. however, i've never powerd off when the thing was writing to my bios...that would be a bad thing.

oh on that asus it just happens. Even if you didnt shut it off while you were patching or saving, even if you mess up on your memory timings and you save and it dosnt boot and you try to clear cmos and it still doesnt work then you're screwed :p but ill get one just in case.

Last edited:
i have two nf7-s and one nf7.. all 3 have dead bios. If that tells u nething.. get a bios savior if you own a nf7!

excaliberpc sells the replacement chips. I bought one last week and this week my BIOS goes out, too bad I forgot to get a chip grabber also. :( You will need one anyways so you can test out the older beta BIOS that give better overclocks.

Rev 2.0 does not have nearly as bad of a problem as the earlier versions, or the ASUS MB.

The Abit reverts to defualt settings, then saves the new BIOS. That way a bad O/C cannot cause a corruption. There is also a warrning saying that the BIOS is being written, and not to reboot.

Most people screw it up because they turn it off when the BIOS is saving. I think that might actually be the only way to do it on the 2.0

{PMS}fishy said:
Rev 2.0 does not have nearly as bad of a problem as the earlier versions, or the ASUS MB.

The Abit reverts to defualt settings, then saves the new BIOS. That way a bad O/C cannot cause a corruption. There is also a warrning saying that the BIOS is being written, and not to reboot.

Most people screw it up because they turn it off when the BIOS is saving. I think that might actually be the only way to do it on the 2.0

Thats not true. Both mine were rev 2's and I never restarted or powered off while it was saving the bios. and they still died.

Cow2kie said:

Thats not true. Both mine were rev 2's and I never restarted or powered off while it was saving the bios. and they still died.

Well I haven't had any problems with mine.

Maybe it was something else you did.

The Rev 2.0s are solid.

or possibly it wasnt anything else I did? One of the boards i never even oce'd and the bios died. thats the only board from abit ive had a problem so I dont have a problem w/ abit, only nf7

Thanks all , I will be getting a bios savior just in case. I think all nf7-s owners should get this because who knows :l. Its pretty cool to have Dual bios and when that day comes (if it does at all) one switch will bring it back to life and then you can patch that :) They should make a Quad Bios, Unstoppable. :cool:

Last edited:
yeah, i've not had a problem killing it yet, but if i had a job i'd get the backup anyway. and i thin ka tir-bios would be good enough :)

I just ordered an NF7-S refurb from Newegg. Does this mean that any time I want to change something in the bios, I have to worry about whether it will ever turn on again?

errrr no, ive never worried, and never will unbtil something ****ty happens with mine

had to reflash it twice, due to oc's gone bad though, but its always booted, never had a dead bios, nor have 5 friends who have this board

Keep in mind, people with under 100 posts cannot access that link.

Back