• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bh-6 or Ch-5?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nico|ARG

Registered
Well im about to buy some new memory to replace my old samsung. I managed to hit 221fsb with this memory but at 11 4 4 3 2.8v, and found the 8rda+ limit, because it wont do 222fsb even with 2.9v.
Here in Argentina we dont have some major brand memory we are used to generic ones that comes with good chips :D so im between an used A-Data ddr450 that hits 200fsb 2-2-3-6 i think with defult voltage. I read some reviews about this memory and its not a big overclocker and in order to hit above 220 230 needed a lot of voltage and not so tight timings. According to the owner of the memory its bh6.
On the other hand i have a Supertalent (wtf?) ddr400 cas 2 (ch5) they come default to hit 200fsb 2-2-3-6 but i read lots of ch5 reviews where it was able to hit 230 240 with 2226 and not too much voltage.
Considering that my 8rda limit is 221fsb and i can only raise the vdimm to 2.9v wich memory do u think its better? Or do u think that both memories d hit 220fsb 11-2-3-2 with only 2.9v

Tnx a lot in advance. :D

Last edited:
CH-5 won't be able to get a tRCD of 2 above 200MHz unless you get an unusual stick.

BH-6, with voltage, will be able to achieve a tRCD of 2 above 200Mhz.

Unless the BH-6 stick performance is under-par, or if it cost much more then the CH-5 stick, I would probably get it.

well, but the trick there is "with voltage" As i understand it (and i may well be wrong on this, so take it w/ a grain of salt), if you don't plan to do a vDIMM mod to increase your max voltage of 2.9V, then you'll prob'ly get better performance in your system out of a BH-5, which doesn't require huge voltages to live up to its full potential...

tell me if i'm wrong, but this is the general consensus that i've seen here...

He's not asking about BH6 vs BH5, but BH6 vs CH5. BH6 is clearly superior to CH5 (and at times slightly superior to BH5). No brainer here, BH6 rocks. At times I wish I had my old BH6 rather than my current BH5, to be honest.

Tnx a lot for all your comments. Considering that the maximum voltage i can get is 2.9v (i dont wanna do any mods to the mobo yet) wich one is best? I mean, i think the maximun stable fsb for my mobo is 220 221 so, wich memory would run this speed at the best timings having in mind that the maximun vdim is 2.9

My BH6 ran at 450MHz 2-2-2-5 Turbo on my P4PE at its 2.9V max.

bh6 valuram.jpg

yep...

they only way is if some site tells u or u go to bb or cc and look thru the window on the kingston pc2700 valuram and see what chips are on it. i got 2 sticks from circuit city this way..

Audioaficionado said:
How do you find out which RAM has BH6? I never really see it listed as a spec.

Im sure its bh6 just because i know the owner and he already told me it had that chip. Now, the only review i found about this memory is one from anandtech where the adata memory perform quite poorly, i mean max oc 225 2.5 3 4 [email protected] for a bh6 :rolleyes:
Also, now i saw another adata ram but with adata chips that according to the vendor can hit 230 cas 2 with 2.8/9v.

What should i buy ? ;)

adata is good for hi fsb loose timings its not good for 230-240 fsb 1-1 with tight timings.. if your looking for tight timings 230-240 get some bh5/6 if u can..

I loosened up my timings 3-4-4-8 @2.75vdimm and only got another 5MHz. Not worth it IMHO.

I can get 125MHz fsb 1:1 at SPD settings of 2-3-2-5 & 2.65vdimm.

Right now I've settled on my sig settings. Anymore MHz even with more voltage caused F@H WU corruption errors. So I'm very stable now as my Gromacs running in SSE are completing fine. SSE Gromacs are a toruture test that even some prime95 stable machines have trouble with.

Back