• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Building a new system, dual rads?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mentaL704

Im building a new system. This is not my first W/Cing system. Its going to be a amd64 3200+ system. Im buying a new case and the one thats fits what I need is the Antec Super Lanboy. Now when people say they run 2 rads in series what does that mean?

This is my idea let me know what you guys think.

Thanks in advance guys!

Attachments

• 11-129-145-05.jpg
    11-129-145-05.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 221
iNSiGMA said:
XXXX TOOOO SERIOUS XXX

Whats that suppose to mean :D

Im just wondering if it would be worth it. I have everything but 1 more Dtek pro core.

Running them in series means just connecting one after the other like you have in your pic.

It may work but its not relly the best way. Paralell would be better where the flow is split so half goes through one rad and half through the other. That way flow resistance is greatly reduced.

IMO its not relly worth it to use 2 rads in a cpu only setup a dtek procore is more then enough.

slater3333uk said:
Running them in series means just connecting one after the other like you have in your pic.

It may work but its not relly the best way. Paralell would be better where the flow is split so half goes through one rad and half through the other. That way flow resistance is greatly reduced.

IMO its not relly worth it to use 2 rads in a cpu only setup a dtek procore is more then enough.

Im running one rad for cpu and one for the gpu. I know the pic sucks.:D

how would you run them paralell with the way I have them mounted?

Series or parallel largely depends on the pump and block. I'm assuming that you plan on using a White Water or RBX With either of those, running in series will be the better option since the block will be the bulk of the flow resistance. You have nothing to gain by putting them in parallel.

well I have right now, A DD RBX, Dtek Pro Core, Ehiem 1260, and clearflex. Planning on getting another Dtek Core. Can you run them in series the way I have them mounted?

Sorry I have never ran dual rads. TIA guys!

Sorry I guess the setup I have in my pic is in series.

I think you will have trouble mounting the second radiator at the back of the case like that, simply because of space constraints.

A case ceiling radiator mount might work out better for you, as it is easier to fabricate using normal shrouds, although it would make for a really tight fit up there.

The setup you have in the picture indeed has the radiators in series; which is the best way to run this setup for the reasons UberBlue outlined. ;)

In any case, running them in Parallel involves using a "Y" fitting to split the flow, so one branch of the "Y" is going into each of the two radiators, and another "Y" fitting to connect the tubes coming out of the two radiators back together.

flow --------< (Y FITTING) RAD 1 AND 2 IN PARALLEL (Y FITTING) >------ flow

ahh thanks.

For the radiator in the back, I might mount the radiator on the outside of the case. And just have the back fan on the inside.

I dunno ill try it and hopefully it will work. Hey you think I can RMA the case if I cut a bunch of holes in it, and it doesnt work out? :p

mentaL704 said:
I dunno ill try it and hopefully it will work. Hey you think I can RMA the case if I cut a bunch of holes in it, and it doesnt work out? :p

Well of course you can. You just ask the company why the hell they sent you a case with a bunch of holes in it!

LoL - yeah, wait till they see my case. "Wait...you've had a hole covering the entire side panel, and you waited one and a half years to RMA it?"

Series is probably the only way you can run those radiators, just because of the way the case is laid out. I'm using a pair of Chevette cores in series myself. They're on opposite ends of the case, as far as they can be from each other, so trying to run them in parallel would be a joke.

Actually, I think my temps went UP with a single CPU setup and a Spir@l waterblock. The flow restriction can hurt. But like UberBlue said, a WW will lower the flow to the point where the resistance of the radiators won't matter as much. That's one reason I have a WW sitting by my mousepad as I type, just begging to go into my system. :) I'm thinking the dual rads will help a lot when I add a chipset and GPU block to the setup also.

johan851 said:
LoL - yeah, wait till they see my case. "Wait...you've had a hole covering the entire side panel, and you waited one and a half years to RMA it?"

Series is probably the only way you can run those radiators, just because of the way the case is laid out. I'm using a pair of Chevette cores in series myself. They're on opposite ends of the case, as far as they can be from each other, so trying to run them in parallel would be a joke.

Actually, I think my temps went UP with a single CPU setup and a Spir@l waterblock. The flow restriction can hurt. But like UberBlue said, a WW will lower the flow to the point where the resistance of the radiators won't matter as much. That's one reason I have a WW sitting by my mousepad as I type, just begging to go into my system. :) I'm thinking the dual rads will help a lot when I add a chipset and GPU block to the setup also.

Yea, I get great temps for just cooling my cpu. 32-34 full load. I dont want to increase temps, so I figured I could add another rad.

"When you say the ww will lower the flow to the point where the resistance of the radiators won't matter much" Will the same apply to my RBX??

Back