• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How-to for submersible pump.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Raider84

I found this guide on Virtual-Hideout, and since there isnt one here, and most people dont know of one I thought I'd post it.

QUANTITY - DESCRIPTION (Click any description for an example photo)
1 - 6"x6"x4" Electrical junction box
1 - 3/8" male brass hose barbs
2 - 3/8" femal brass hose barbs
1 - Submersible fountain pump (with atleast a 100gph rating!)
1 - Roll of teflon tape
1 - Tube of silicone sealant
1 - Short piece of 3/8" ID tube a few inches in length
1 - Roll of electrical tape
2 - Small hose clamps
1 - Gallon of distilled water (under a dollar at any grocery store - no picture needed!)

Directions:
1) Take the electrical box lid, and drill two holes in the top that are just smaller than the threads on the male hose barbs.t Also, drill another hole abou 1/4" in diameter in the lid. This 3rd hole is for the pump's cord.
2) Tap the holes, and then put a few wraps of teflon tape around the male hose barb threads. Screw one male barb into each of the holes that you drilled. Flip the lid over, and screw the femal hose barb onto one of the male's threads.
3) Take the water pump, make sure it is not plugged in, and then cut the power cord. Then feed the cord through the 1/4" hole in the electrical box's lid. Now strip each wire and splice the power cord's wires back together. Wrap each wire seperatly with electrical tape, then wrap all the wires with tape to finish the cord. Leave a few inches of cord on the underside of the lid, then use the silicone to seal the hole that the cord comes out of. We don't want any leaks!
4) Place the pump in the bottom of the electrical box, then attach the small piece of tube onto the output of the pump. Slide two hose clamps over the tube, and then plug the tube into the female hose barb (on the underside of the electrical box lid). Tighten one hose clamp around the female hose barb, and one around the pump.
5) The pump should be attached to the lid now by the tube and hose clamps. Fill the electrical box with distilled water. Plase the lid gasket on the box's rim, then place the lid over the box and tighten down the four corner screws.
6) The result should look something like this:

reservoir-side-large.gif

reservoir-assembled-large.gif

hope this helps! It sure helped me out!

nice but your going to get a hellofalot people flaming this because it uses a 90-degree piece, which is aparently evil

if you wanted you could sit the pump on its arse and have output straight up.

Back