• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thinking of water cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chipper

I am thinking of water cooling but am still unsure, my main reason would be for quiteness, not insane speeds.
Is it possible to buy a cpu water block that fits all types of cpu's as I change my cpu and mobo occasionally and don't really want to keep buying new blocks.
Since I will virtually be running stock speeds, I don't need the most efficient design.
Sorry for my ignorance if it is obviously impossible to get a universal fitting block but I have yet to see a block in the flesh.

If this is not possible can I get 2 blocks covering all AMD cpu's and Intel cpu's.

chipper

Just a word, but W/C does not necessarily give you a quieter computer. The types of noise just change. You now have pump noise instead of fan noise. If you do not want to o/c, why not a high-end hs with a quiet fan. I do use water, but I could get the same temps with an SP94 and a 30dba Panaflo fan. But even with the problems (mainly caused by the new learning curve) going to water has been interesting. And I keep working at improving the setup.

Water can easily outperform a SP94 w/ a 30dba Panaflo at higher overclocks/voltage. But running near stock voltages makes it a bit overkill in the cost area.

OK, thanks for the replies, I have got it in my head that I want to take this project on so it looks like I will be water cooling.

I have scoured the net and found the Slitedge water block is advertised as both intel and AMD compatible, this one looks favourite to me.
I need to choose a VGA block and probably an eheim 1048 pump and some kind of radiator.
Hows it looking?

chipper said:
OK, thanks for the replies, I have got it in my head that I want to take this project on so it looks like I will be water cooling.

I have scoured the net and found the Slitedge water block is advertised as both intel and AMD compatible, this one looks favourite to me.
I need to choose a VGA block and probably an eheim 1048 pump and some kind of radiator.
Hows it looking?

think it has holes for both amd and p4..... but not a64

many if not all blocks have kits for both AMD and intel. i don't think the slit edge is the best, if you look around here, you can find some nice setups. mine is a whitewater cpu block, mag3 pump, and a heatercore from a chevette.

Water can easily outperform a SP94 w/ a 30dba Panaflo at higher overclocks/voltage
I know this, but he stated in the original question
Since I will virtually be running stock speeds
and
my main reason would be for quiteness, not insane speeds
I just wanted him to know that W/C is not as quiet, if you want low temps, as some may think. Not to mention that if he likes to change his system alot, high end air might have been a better choice. It is not just a matter of removing a hsf and replaceing it with water, for most setups. BUt it is his choice, I was just trying to give him a heads up.

Back