• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Massive Algae problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DayUSeX

WEll the algae in my watercoolign has gotten so bad the waterblocks are "black" from all the algae in them, and the tubbing which was clear is now brown. Yet temps have only risen 2*C thankfully. It looks really bad and it seems no amount of clorex bleach will kill it all. IS there a way to kill the algae, or do i drain the system and startover. ANd if i drain the sytem how do I kill all the alge left int eh tubes and teh blocks. Thankyou

You're running bleach in your system??? Correct me if I'm wrong but that'll eat your seals. I think you should strip it down and inspect it all carefully.

Drain them, let them dry for a day or two, flush them ina sink full of water, until no more is in there, refill your system and add in an algacide.

50/50 Pinesol/Lysol will clean em right out. And as far as bleach is concerned, the chloride ions like to do fun things to metals. Like eat the anodizing off aluminum and form cupric chloride with copper.

I'm curious which additive (if any) you used, and in what concentration, when you first installed your circuit. You added bleach later to try and kill it all right?

Be sure to use distilled water for flushing and washing components, especially your radiators.

Yuck, do you have any grisly pictures for us?

Back