• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ram questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rcillig

I got pc2700 and I am looking to upgrade to pc3200 but dont know what to get, ive herd you should get i.e. 2 256 chips or 2 512 chips or so on.. is that true and what ram should I look into geting?

ty
rcillig

Running pairs of RAM in that motherboard isn't going to help anything. The KT400 chipset doesn't support dual channel, so performance will be the same with 2 sticks or 1. You probably won't get your FSB much higher if any with new RAM. That motherboard officially supports up to a 166 FSB. I have seen them overclocked to around 180. You already have an FSB of 175, so at the most you might see a 10 MHz increase with faster RAM. If you are planning on upgrading in the future to something like an Nforce 2 motherboard, buying the RAM wouldn't be a bad idea, because they support higher FSB speeds and dual channel.

yes I am planing on getting a new board looking into a Abit nf7-s v2.0 from what I have gathered its a good overclocking board.

if u plan to run dual chan mode, make sure ur ram are identical and make sure ur mobo supports dual chan :D

when buying ram what do the numbers mean like the timing part i.e 2-3-2-6-1 how can i tell good numbers from bad ones so I dont end up with bad ram.

ty
rcillig

as the timings get lower, the tigther the settings are... low latency are always good. Check out the thread the "corsair explained" subj, click on that link... it will explain all about ram :D

ok how do I tell the timing on the ram I got in my pc now? sorry for all the questions but im trying to learn it.

if u want to know the ram timings on ur pc right now, get cpu-z, it will show u the current timings... if u want to know the suggested timings for ur ram, best way is to browse the ram manufacturers website :D

Back