• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question About My AN7's 12 Volt Connection

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

blynes

Registered
I recently noticed that my AN7 has a 12 volt connection near the main atx connection. What is this for and should I have my power supply plugged into it?

Just about all boards these days have this 12V connector. This started with the P4's, which require the use of this connector. The Socket A platform doesnt require the use of this connector, but board manufacturers have been including them for quite awhile now. Basically, it helps stabilize the 12V line that is fed into your CPU. It helps stability, and might help your overclock (not likely though). If you have the connector on your PSU, you should definetly use it.

Yep, if your powersupply does not have that connection it is most likely a much older or underpowered PSU, and you may want to consider upgrading it.

Back