• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Did I make a good choice?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Blimpie

Registered
Ok, just ordered from newegg.com

Asus NFORCE2 A7N8X-E Deluxe
AMD XP 3000+ Barton, 400 MHZ fsb
Corsiar XMS DDRAM 512, CMX512-3200CPro RT
Asus ATI Radeion 9800 XT
Zalman CNPS6000-CU RT heatsink/fan

and other things, hdd, fdd, cables and such.

I was looking at either this boad or the abit nf7-s, guess i chose this one, not really sure why. If, if is DOA, then i will go with the nf7-s.

Just wondering if this is an ok setup, not sure if i will overclock much. Just wanted a kick system. My old one was a dell dimension 4200, 933mhz pIII, with Nvidia Gforce 2 32MB. SO this should be a hefty upgrade.

Thanks for any input.

this a good bord stable like the nf7 s
the nf7s is good overclocker with more voltage option
the only probleme with the asus board is the bios coruption if u wana to overclock becareful never adjust mermory timing a lot or push the fsb two higher more than 225 .
this very good bord but if u whant to overclock go to the abit or best choice is dfi ultra infinity
and good luck

the only probleme with the asus board is the bios coruption if u wana to overclock becareful never adjust mermory timing a lot or push the fsb two higher more than 225 .

In other words, No, it was not a good choice. I have hated this board ever since i got it. If it aint one thing, its another.

Treat the boards nice, and it will be good to you. Give it good power, and good cooling. Now the barton is locked, so you wont have to worry about how Abit makes a better board for the multi's, but you can hit aroun 2.3 with some air cooling, and this board easy. And the built in 5.1 isnt too bad

Treat the boards nice, and it will be good to you. Give it good power, and good cooling.

Um, a 430 watt PS and a D-Tek waterblock should have made a difference huh? I even volt modded the dang thing, it's junk.

hmmm, mabey i should have gone with the abit......
The case i got has like 5 fans in it, so that and the hsf system i got for it should do decent for cooling. Not sure if i want to keep it if i could only go to a 225 fsb. A friend does have a chip burner, so IF i keep it and IF the bios goes on me and IF it is past the warranty, i will let him have a shot at the chip.

Ah, the cries of the personal anecdote.

I like the board, very stable for medium overclock with better PCB layout design then the abit and better "extras". If high end OC'ing is your goal, then by all means i'd agree that the abit is a better choice. If a mild~medium overclock (oc@stock voltage) is your goal and you would like a very stable, very attractive overall package with lots of goodies, then you made a FINE choice.

If you've had one board and it gave you trouble, then you had one board and it gave you trouble. YOUR mobo was junk. NOT the entire company product line. There are commonly reported problems with the board, but EVERY mobo has such.

Check sig - mine is running perfectly fine at 200x11 at stock voltage. I, for one, would recommend this board to anyone (and i've successfully convinced eight - as i built systems for them based on the same a7n8xdeluxe mobo.)

clash_27 said:

Um, a 430 watt PS and a D-Tek waterblock should have made a difference huh? I even volt modded the dang thing, it's junk.

You find me one company that has never had one bad mobo come out. Im sure Abit has had its share of problems.

And the board has a very nice layout, almost the same exact layout of the DFI Ultra Inifinity.

I have had the board and been on this forum since the board came out. It has been plagued from the beginning. It is a turd...

Dont let my "join date" deceive you. I had hundreds of posts before they purged the system. If you are a serious overclocker, then this MB is a turd... And saying that the company had "one bad board" come out, it is apparent you have not been around long...

Ps.... It's a turd

ok ... but its not bad for medium OC'ing.

For beginners who want some nice features, with a decent board, the ASUS is not a bad board. Im sorry if you got a bad one man, but I have yet to encounter any problems, and I was at 2.2 stable on a crappy heatsink and temps hitting 45 at load. Its like saying Intel sucks because a few Northwoods died ...

No, i forgot to add one detail. Mine is a revision 1, like i said, i had it since it came out. It is a turd, and i am highly upset that they used MY money to betatest their board. From what i hear, the newer ones are ok. But i will never buy another asus.

When i hear someone ask about the board it just sends a chill up my spine, and i go off....But you are correct, it is full of features.

Like they are saying. I have this board and its sweet. Just not quite as sweet as Abit. I m currently running at 204X11.5=2346 on stock voltage with a 34C load temp on slk800air. So i cant complain. I kinda hit a wall at 204FSB and im still trying to figure out why. Thats the only reason im a little dissappointed.

You did just fine with that board. I have been running this board for about two years now. I have Revision 1.4. There are problems with all motherboards. You will not likely have any of the reported problems as most people cause their own MB problems themselves! Feel good about your system as all of your components are good to go!

ASUS A7N8X Deluxe Revision 1.6
Athlon XP 2700+ (Not OC'd) w/ Volcano 9 HS
1 GB Mushkin 3200 DDR SDRAM
ATI Radeon 9800 XT (Not OC'd)
WD 36 GB Raptors X2 in Striped Array
ANTEC P160 Mid Tower w/ 2x 120 mm Fans

And as you can see, he don't even bother to OC the thing... So he's really a authority on the subject.....

well, looks like he changed his signature, Im thinking 2272 is OC'ed seeing how it comes at 1800 mhz. Im at 2.17 right now, and I dont plan on going much further without some water.

great board. no probs for me. best oc yet is 11x225 but my ps is starting to lose it, my +5 drops to 4.7 under load and is 4.8 idle used to be 4.92/4.89ish but 227 is about max fsb anything higher and the board acts up. hard to get in to bios. i think i came close to corruption on that 1 lol. had to ctrl+alt+del 5 times before i got inti bios. if you want more fsb and more voltage then nf7 is the way to go. but like other peeps said for med ocing this is a great board.

Back