• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A7N8X-X Dual Channel ... Ooops!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Armitage

Hey all!
This is my first post so go easy on me.

It seems that I, like many others, have been confused by the spec on the A7N8X vs. A7N8X-X.
I've gone out and bought an OCZ Dual Channel Kit (OCZ400512ELERDC-K) only to realize after that my A7N8X-X doesn't support Dual Channe mode :mad:

Should I be fine running this RAM in my rig?

Welcome to the forums.

That's an Nforce 2 board right? I thought all Nforce 2 boards supported Dual Channel. Hmm. Well even if the board doesn't support dual channel that RAM will work fine. You will just lose a bit of performance over running it in dual channel.

Yep, it is an Nforce 2 mobo.
I'm looking at the box right now, and sure enough it says nothing about being Dual Channel ready; only that it is 400MHz FSB ready.
It's been confirmed with links to Asus throughout this forum, but of course I didn't see that until after the fact. Oh well, I figured that the RAM would work fine even in single mode. Do you forsee any problems when I try to OC the 2500+ Barton I get tomorrow? ... with the RAM that is ;)

As long as you have good cooling, I think you can get a decent overclock out of the processor. It all depends on the stepping though. That processor is most likely going to be multiplier locked if you buy it new. You might get lucky, and get an older unlocked one, but that is doubtful. I don't know how much you could overclock that RAM if you are interested in that.

That's what I've been hearing about the 2500+ Barton as well.
A friend of mine just bought one new and it was unlocked, I guess he got lucky.

As far as OCing the RAM, this is going to be my first OC so I think I'll stick to the processor right now :p
I remember reading somewhere that it is harder to get the timings right with Dual Channel kits... Know anything about this?

Armitage im using dual chan kit (check rig below) and i never had problems configuring it, maybe hard to find the right tight timings :D

if ur not running it at dual chan mode, then i guess it will run fine on ur rig.. BUT wats ur rig anyways? :)

Mobo: A7N8X-X
RAM: OCZ PC3200 2x256 Dual Channel Kit
HSF: Thermalright SP-97 w/ Thermaltake TT-9025A 90x90x25
Video: Asus V9750TD
HDD:

That's it so far ... going to buy a CPU tomorrow. Hopefully an unlocked 2500+ Barton if I can find one.

Back