• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1gig dual channel or 1.5gig single channel

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ataxy

so am i better off with the performance boost of dual channel or or the added amount of mem from 512mb of ram, since from what i understand if i use two stick of 512mb they will work as dual channel but if i add a third one my nforce2 controler will switch back to single channel

oh i forgot to add my rig as a small website on it i also often use Linux on vmware and i often play game.......

Posted by mrspec3:
IIRC you can run 3 sticks and still have DC

Thats almost true. You can run three sticks in your board and still have dual channel, but only two of the slots will actually be running in dual channel mode. The third slot will just run in a single channel configuration.

I think that you shuld just stick with a gig. At this point in time, a gig of RAM is more than enough to play any games on the market. Only really specialized work (video editing, heavy image editing) would need more than a gig.

but a mobo with 3 slots, i though dual chan usually have 4 slots? i havent seen a mobo with dual chan features with 3 slots :D

Don't forget that nForce2 mobos can't run dual channel at DDR400 if you populate all 3 slots. DDR333 will work dual channel with all 3 sticks in.

but will the fact that one of the stick will run single channel slow the the two other that runs in dual channel

ciku my asus a7n8x mobo as only three slot

You can't use all three slots @ DDR400/PC3200 if you want dual channel. It will just run single channel at those speeds with more than two sticks.

ataxy said:
but will the fact that one of the stick will run single channel slow the the two other that runs in dual channel

ciku my asus a7n8x mobo as only three slot

ok, noted :D

ciku said:
but a mobo with 3 slots, i though dual chan usually have 4 slots? i havent seen a mobo with dual chan features with 3 slots :D

AFAIK most AMD NF2 mobos have only 3 slots, as opposed to intel mobos which have 4.

hey audioaficiando, not to challenge you but i thought that with the nforce2 you CAN use all 3 slots and have dual channel. so long as each channels total ammount is equal to the other. ie 2x512+1x1gig. the 512;s in channel 2 and the gig in channel 1. i swear thats how it works.

Yeah , neither my NF7-S, or my A7N8X had 4 slots.

But I do notice when I have hardcore Age of Mythology games (7 players) I run out of RAM pretty quickly. Task manager shows AOM using up 850+ MB of RAM. I was thinking of putting another 512 MB in my system.

ok, now i got it. but still, altho abit says its only good for 333 speeds, does that make it so? i mean the boards go over spec the rest of the time, why not when in dual channel with all three dimms filled? is it totally iompossible?

I wouldn't make such a big deal out of it. Dual Channel on an AMD system doesn't give that much of a performance boost, and chances are that if the board is not running DC, you should be able to OC higher.

Back