• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mushkin 2x512 lvl 2 pc3500 FSB OC?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FatesWarning

I bought the last of Newegg's 2x512 Mushkin pc3500 and it will not pass prime blend test at 217 FSB with 2-2-2-11 timings. Since it's pc3500, isn't that supposed to be the guaranteed rated speed and timings? I'm wondering if I got some bad sticks. If anyone else has 1 GB of this ram, please post your highest FSB at what vdimm prime stable. For the high price, it should be prime stable at the rated speed and timings. Is it supposed to do the rated speed and timings at stock volts? (2.6 vdimm)

I'm not really sure what I should be expecting. For the past 20 min, it has passed prime at 217 FSB 2.9 vdimm on 2-3-2-6 timings. Does it need more volts? My Abit only goes to 2.9 vdimm though. Should I RMA this ram since it's not passing prime at 217 FSB 2-2-2 or is this normal? My 2x256 does 220 easy prime stable at 2-2-2. I'm not sure what to do now. Lastly, if you RMA to newegg and they no longer carry the product, what happens? :mad:

If your NF7-S v2.0 is like most, with BIOS set to 2.9, it's overvolting closer to 3.0v. Even if these are 512 MB sticks, the results you are getting are below average for any BH-5. I'd personally expect at least 220 - 225 FSB, 2-2-2-6 with 2.9v actual vdimm with 512MB BH-5 sticks on an NF7-S v2.0. The fact that you have other sticks that'll meet or exceed spec. on the same rig makes it easier to isolate the problem.

If you RMA to NewEgg and the product is no longer stocked, they will most likely refund full purchase price without restock fee. Since it does appear that these sticks aren't performing to spec, I wouldn't hesitate RMAing them.

Last edited:
RMA

I was having alot of problems with these same sticks. Try Memtest before you RMA. ! stick of mine posted 56 errors on tests 5&6 while the other posted over 500 errors on test 5&6. I never went further, I just but some 2100 LOL in my rig and Memtested to be sure and came back with no errors. I ran those mushkins on a variety of oc's and voltages and all came out the same. Now I'm left to wonder if I'll be able to get a bh-5 chip or have to settle for bh-6 .Goodluck with yours.:(

I ran my 2x512 pc3500 memtest86 with no errors for 2 hours at 217 FSB 2.9 vdimm with 2-2-2-6 timings. If I increase the FSB to 220, I get plenty of memtest errors. Apparently this memory will barely do the rated speed and timings on memtest. It appears that I cannot overclock this ram at all, and I can't even pass prime at 217 FSB. All of my attempts have been with 2.9 volts which is the max on this board.

If I bought a DSI infinity ultra, how much higher do you think I could OC it with no mods? I am extremely disappointed to say the least. I can't believe 2x256 pc 3200 will overclock so much higher than 2x512 pc3500. I assume I am getting extremely subpar performance from these new sticks. I think I may have to get an RMA and send them back. However, then I may be stuck buying some ch-5 pc3200 and not even hitting 210, lol. What would you do?

RMA them back to mushkin if you want BH5 memory. I just RMAed a stick of this very memory to them last week and fedex currenty has my replacement. Apparently mushkin kept stock of some just for RMA usage. Might be worth a phone call to them. :)

FatesWarning said:
I ran my 2x512 pc3500 memtest86 with no errors for 2 hours at 217 FSB 2.9 vdimm with 2-2-2-6 timings. If I increase the FSB to 220, I get plenty of memtest errors. Apparently this memory will barely do the rated speed and timings on memtest. It appears that I cannot overclock this ram at all, and I can't even pass prime at 217 FSB. All of my attempts have been with 2.9 volts which is the max on this board.

If I bought a DSI infinity ultra, how much higher do you think I could OC it with no mods? I am extremely disappointed to say the least. I can't believe 2x256 pc 3200 will overclock so much higher than 2x512 pc3500. I assume I am getting extremely subpar performance from these new sticks. I think I may have to get an RMA and send them back. However, then I may be stuck buying some ch-5 pc3200 and not even hitting 210, lol. What would you do?

Kingston HyperX KHX3200/512 (non-A) from ZipZoomFly. Bought 4 sticks a couple weeks back when they were still $125 each, and they did just as well as my 512MB Corsair XMS3500s and Mushkin 3500 lvl IIs. Last hurrah for BH-5 sticks...

Skane, are you running 5x512 of that Kingston? or 2x256. I've heard people are getting much much lower overclocks with 2x512. At any rate, I might try to call Mushkin for an RMA on Monday. However, I do want to either keep this or get another set from them. The last pair on ebay went for $366 and the seller only had 9 feedback. I paid $328 from Newegg about 5 days ago right before they ran out. I think Zipzoomfly is out of stock on that Kingston now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3459404691&category=44938

FatesWarning said:
Skane, are you running 5x512 of that Kingston? or 2x256. I've heard people are getting much much lower overclocks with 2x512. At any rate, I might try to call Mushkin for an RMA on Monday. However, I do want to either keep this or get another set from them. The last pair on ebay went for $366 and the seller only had 9 feedback. I paid $328 from Newegg about 5 days ago right before they ran out. I think Zipzoomfly is out of stock on that Kingston now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3459404691&category=44938

All 512 MB sticks; you're right, 256MB sticks generally will OC higher. Looks like zzf still has KHX3200/512.

KHX3200 non-A 512

They're $145 each now. If you want BH-5 make sure it's KHX3200 and not KHX3200A

Did you test those Mushkins separately? Not uncommon for one stick to be good and the other not-so-good in those kits. If you RMA with Mushkin, they'll probably let you split the pair for RMA. Newegg might not, as they may want to treat the pair as one item. Good luck.

Skane, what FSB and timings are you running with the 2x512
bh-5 Kingston prime stable with no errors? Oh, and your system specs would help too. Good idea testing the stick separately....I will try that tomorrow. Had to re-install windows again today. Thanks :)

FatesWarning said:
Skane, what FSB and timings are you running with the 2x512
bh-5 Kingston prime stable with no errors? Oh, and your system specs would help too. Good idea testing the stick separately....I will try that tomorrow. Had to re-install windows again today. Thanks :)

NF7-S v2.0
1700+ JIUHB 0310WPMW
11 x 218, cpu/memory sync, dual channel, interface enabled
Dimm slots 2 and 3, 6-2-2-2, vdimm set 2.8v in BIOS, shows 2.93v in mbm5. The CPU craps out at ~ 2400. I can drop my multi to 10.5 and run the pair up to 223 stable (10x and 10.5x multi's sometimes act weird on these boards). Benches were higher running 11x218, so I went with that for fulltime setting.

P4C800-E Deluxe, 2.4C SL6Z3 FPO/Batch 3335x
12x287, 5:4 (~230)
Dimm slots A1 and B1, 2-2-2-6, vdimm 3.10 (measured off mosfet leg). I was running this rig @ 12x292 5:4 2-2-2-6 with a couple old BH-5 TwinMos/Winbond 256MB sticks, but needed the 1GB for heavier work. The 1GB pair tops out at 287 5:4 with 2-2-2-6. CPU is good for [email protected] and [email protected], but had to drop to a 3:2 ratio or run very loose timings. Overall, benches were higher with tight timings w/5:4 at 287 and I could drop my vcore to 1.5625, so I went with that.

In your NF7-S v2, try testing the sticks individually first to see if you have a bad one. If both make spec individually, then you might also try using different dimm slots (1-3 vs. 2-3, vice versa). In my two NF7-S v2.0's, with BIOS 10, slots 1-3 was fastest; with BIOS above 10, slots 2-3 gave me higher stable top end. For DC, use 1-3 or 2-3; using slots 1-2 will be SC.

Last edited:
How high (what speed is it stable at) will your sticks go in dual channel at 2.9V (using Memtest86+ to test for stability)?

How high will each stick go individually at 2.9V stable?

Here are my results for the 2 X 512 Mushkin PC3500 level II. It is clear the advantage here is to get more juice for your ram if you want higher speeds. I plan to do a volt mod for my memory.

Memtest86, Dual Channel Mode at 100 %, 2-2-2-6

200 X 11 Pass at 1.675 vcore, 2.7 vdimm.
210 X 11 Fail. Increased vdimm to 2.8. Pass memtest86.
214 X 11 Fail. Increased vcore to 1.700. Pass memtest86.
215 X 11 Fail. Increased vcore to 1.725. Pass memtest86.
216 X 11 Fail. Increased vcore to 1.750. Pass memtest86.
217 X 11 Fail. Increased vcore to 1.850. Pass memtest86.

From 214 - 217, I had to use up all my vcore to keep it stable. Bottom line, more vdimm = more speed :)

I posted this on another thread but thought I would add here too.
I spent most of the day testing and here are my results:

All tests were run with 2.9 vdimm and timings of 2-2-2-6 (turbo). I first tested the 2x512 sticks separately:

Mushkin lvl 2 pc3500 512mb stick #1: passed memtest at 230 FSB with no errors, passed prime torture blend and large fat test at 225 x11 (my barton is locked, this seems like a nice stick! I was happy to see a new stable high for my CPU and board as well!).

Mushkin lvl 2 pc3500 512mb stick #2: Passed memtest at 220 FSB, failed prime tests at 220, this stick looks like the culprit.

Next I tried swapping in different dimms to rule out a dimm problem. Stick #1 passed memtest at 230 and prime at 225 in dimms 2 & 3. Finally, I tested again in dual channel with both sticks (dimm 2 and dimm 3). Running both in DC i failed memtest and prime at 217 FSB. When I lowered vdimm to 2.7 at 217 FSB, I received hundreds of memtest errors.

Are "dual channel kits" really matched somehow or is this a marketing gimmick? If there is no such thing as matched pairs of ram, I was thinking about trying to RMA stick #2 only (the dud). Do you think stick #1 is a keeper?

My 2x256 lvl 2 pc3200 sticks are prime and memtest stable at 220 in dual channel...so I won't be happy until I get at least 220X11 with the 2x512 pc3500 in DC. I've never tried any mods and don't really want to mess with that.

Sniper, when you passed at 217x11, was that with only 2.7 vdimm or 2.9? I see you needed 1.85 vcore.

FatesWarning said:
Sniper, when you passed at 217x11, was that with only 2.7 vdimm or 2.9? I see you needed 1.85 vcore.

I have the A7N8X Deluxe rev. 2.0 board. I am maxed out at vcore 1.850 and vdimm 2.8. To answer your question, 2.8 vdimm.

FatesWarning said:

Are "dual channel kits" really matched somehow or is this a marketing gimmick?

They are no more matched than buying two of the same individually. The only reason to buy a kit is to get a lower price. Looks like #1 is a keeper, #2 is a dud. In DC, the pair will only work as fast as the slower stick can.

Last edited:
Fate: I did a memory voltage check with my digital multimeter and too my surprise here are the results:

Bios 2.6 reads 2.67 on meter.
Bios 2.7 reads 2.73 on meter.
Bios 2.8 reads 2.82 on meter.

It looks like memory voltage is not equatable or proportional to bios in regards to .1 volt increase. I only gained .06 volts at 2.7, yet I gained .09 volts at 2.8. It looks like this Mushkin is thirsty for more juice! If I add another .2 volts to bring mem to 3.0, I will probably get another 20 Mhz on my FSB.

Sniper.nkc said:
Fate: I did a memory voltage check with my digital multimeter and too my surprise here are the results:

Bios 2.6 reads 2.67 on meter.
Bios 2.7 reads 2.73 on meter.
Bios 2.8 reads 2.82 on meter.

It looks like memory voltage is not equatable or proportional to bios in regards to .1 volt increase. I only gained .06 volts at 2.7, yet I gained .09 volts at 2.8. It looks like this Mushkin is thirsty for more juice! If I add another .2 volts to bring mem to 3.0, I will probably get another 20 Mhz on my FSB.

The A7N8X doesn't overvolt vdimm like the NF7-S v2.0. If you're using an A7N8X, you can use the uber bios from http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/ (ASUS section). The uber bios adds a 2.9v vdimm option that actually works (unlike the unlocked vdd option). The vcore and vdimm mods on the ASUS are easy, vdd mod is a little harder.

I downloaded the new version of memtest and burned it on to a bootable CD today. Now my "dud" stick is passing memtest at 222 FSB. I retested and I can now pass memtest and prime stable with no errors at 217 in DC with 2x512 at 2-2-2-6. I guess all the testing has burnt my sticks. I did try to call Mushkin today, but they never called me back. I'm surprised you cannot wait on hold to talk to someone. They force you to leave a message.

I'm happy that I'm passing the prime torture blend test for over 2 hours. Most say that is the most important and toughest system stability test. I was also pleasantly surprised to see that my CPU temp during prime was only 42c with 1.85 vcore. That AS5 must be breaking in too. Someday I may get up the nerve to try a volt mod. Thanks for your replies guys.

http://www.memtest.org/

Last edited:
This is amazing. Tonight I passed memtest and prime at 220 FSB with 2x512 in DC 2.9 vdimm 2-6-6-6 :) Two days ago I could only reach 215 without memtest errors. Aparently my chips are getting better every day. I had to move my computer tonight so only ran a brief test. Can't wait to try and go higher tomorrow!

I may sell my 2x256 pc3200 on ebay. However, I'm still debating if I want to get a mobile 2400 and try with an unlocked chip....I've never had one. I only used those sticks for two weeks running at 200 FSB. Do you think it's wise to mention overclocking when you sell top notch RAM? I'm just curious because one day I tested the 2x256 and they passed memtest at 225. However, I'm not sure if I should mention that in the auction. I only did that one time to see how they could do. I'm concerned people might assume I abused them if I say anything about overclocking in the auction. What do you think?

Last edited:
Back