• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FSB:DRAM question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sneaker

Registered
hello folks .. i'm new here and also still fairly new to oc'ing.

i've just upgraded my system components (see below) and have the following question:

i'm currently running my P4C 2.8 and Geil PC3500 at stock speeds. CPU-Z reports that the memory is running 1:1 with the CPU FSB @ 200MHz so the memory is actually underclocked at this speed which is rated DDR433.

now here's what's confusing me: i raised the CPU's FSB to 230 (and various other speeds) and, i'm guessing that my mobo automatically does this, it changed the FSB:dRAM ratio to 3:2 running the memory at something like 150MHz. not acceptable.

there doesn't seem to be a BIOS setting for me to adjust the FSB:dRAM ratio manually.. i remember on my old ASUS P4P266 i could adjust it.

so my question is: how do i get my memory past 200Mhz? when i try to overclock the CPU the mobo automaticaly sets the cpu:memory ratio for me. it seems that my mobo is deciding what cpu:memory ratio is going to be used.

any thoughts?

Last edited:
WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
it sounds to me u have one of the dram settings or cpu settings to auto or by cpu deault. my guess is the mb is looking at the spd (little info chip on the memory) and thinking the memory cant take the added fsb thus it defaults to 3/2 ratio.. asus makes top of the line boards, so im sure there's a option in the bios to manually change your dram ratio.. maybe ask in the mb section im sure one of the asus guys can fix u up...

thanks for the welome, flapperhead!

i indeed have the cpu and memory settings set to manual.. but i still don't see a setting for the cpu:memory ratio. maybe, like you say, it's reading that info on the chip and not letting me go past 3:2. but it's Geil Ultra Platinum memory, good stuff i imagine.

deeman: I have that manual as a book and can't find anything on the cpu:memory ratio. that's why i'm a little lost at this point.

i've flashed my BIOS with the latest revision, so that shouldn't be a problem.

..thanks for the feedback, i'll check out teh motherboard section of the forum (-:

sorry pages 4.15-4.17 tell you were it is i had originally said 4.1-4.2 it gives ratios of auto 266, 333, 400 and as seen on page 4.16 make sure mem isnt set to by spd as that might overide other settings

cheers deeman

i had to figure out that the 266, 333, and 400 settings are the fsb:ram ratio settings.

glad to figure it out! :)

Back