• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

oc priority

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

itim100

over the past year (especially after the asus) ive been content with my 2.4ghz (200x12) and i saw that that was good. 2.4 is pretty high for a 2100 on air, and ive gotten it to do 2.5 (200x12.5) and run 3dmark, but not consistently.

Only problem is i need to take out half my ram (some crappy 2100 nanya) to get 200 with my corsair, and that requires either some wedging or taking out my 4200, cuz the nf7s2 is laid out such that the graphics card keeps you from opening two of the ram slots bottom clip thingies.

Anyways, my question is, should i go for higher fsb and lower the cpu speed? Like, what should i go for? My ram is corsair xms 3200 and i know it could easily do more, but i never wanted to push it, being of the opinion that one shouldn't oc ram for the sake of stability. Should i go for like 220x10? How much volts should i give the ram?

Also, should one oc the agp mhz? does that offer any real performance boost?

Nice o/c.
How about a link to your 3dmark 2001 score? A lot of NF7/S rigs running at 2.4ghz or higher speeds usually get kicked out of 3dmark2001 and back to the desktop. I'd be interested to see what kinda scores you get at 2/5ghz speed.

You'll gain performance running at a higher FSB as long as the RAM can take it. Your Corsair should have no problem hitting 220fsb w/ aggressive timing but if not, then just relax your timing.

At 220fsb, 2.7v should be sufficient voltage.

Last edited:
actually that comp never is online, so i can't post

i think because of instability that at 2.4 it scores higher. Because of the ram thing i don't oc that much (just when i was trying to own my friend's expensive p4 system on water, which i did), but the highest score i have is 14147. I figure there's no way i can get 15 with the 4200, specially since for some reason it doesn't oc as well as the albatrons are supposed to. Guess i just got a bad one: it only can do like 295/644.

14147 sound right, or too low? I havn't really fiddled much, my cpu is just a really nice ocer. What about the fsb thing?

crap, my sigs messed up isnt it? I fix

Last edited:
If you can get your FSB higher with 2-2-2-8 RAM timing, your score will be a lot higher. I got the 4200 in my sig to 16,732 so you know that it's possible for you to get a higher score. Just play around with your RAM timing and o/c.

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=7294546

I just reformatted a 30gig HD I had laying around and loaded windows 2000 pro and will try to get to 17000.

Well, your card is at 339/738, which mine cannot do, so that's prolly a bit high for mine. Is yours modded or on water??

My 4200 has the stock hs/fan but I have a 120mm fan on the side of my case right on top of the vid card which helps a lot.

i got my creative 4800se to 16 k as well, before she started smoking, so its definitely possible

like your man just said, upping the fsb will give you a big boost in your 3d mark score, but i would be aiming for timgings summat like 5-3-3-2.5, and i reckon you would need more than 2.7 vdimm to get it stable, i run 3 volts thru my ram, and she runs fine........timings dont matter half as much as everyone makes out imo

edit: oops, my card was at 320/640 though, dunno if you can get anywhere near that

itim100 said:
Well, your card is at 339/738, which mine cannot do, so that's prolly a bit high for mine. Is yours modded or on water??

Are you sure your card wont do that?

Ive seen people with that Albatron 4200 Turbo getting those numbers and even higher

yeah, sadly, MY albatron 4200 Plus Turbo (I got it and paid the extra $50 or whatever so that it WOULD do like 320/700) starts artifacting well under 300 (like 290s), but ram will do 650 i think.
What is more importand for 3dmark with the 4200s again? (gpu/ram)

I have a side fan too. And i have arctic silver III on the GPU. Why oh why is my albatron a loser? oh well. Tonight i will try for higher fsb w my corsair (best $90 i have spent), and make sure that my albatron is indeed just not a good ocer. That means getting out all my beefy fans and turning them all on. Ouch.

I will post what my ram/board/cpu/video do if i can.
Maybe i will even put that computer online and try to give a futuremark link. The comp i use for online stuff gets around 150 3dmarks. I find that very amusing.

Thanks for the help guys, you have brought up several things that i will now go fiddle with.

witht the pr3ach3r bios, i couldn't do 215, don't think it was the ram's fault. Gonna fiddle more. Agressive timings at 220 should be no problem for corsair xms 3200 (200mhz) ram? Anyone second that opinion?

and yeah just tried more, even with freakin ASIII on it the albatron will only go to 305, and with good air on it. Ram sits around 660.

Im using the pr3ach3r bios and 2 sticks of corsair pc3200xms LL @ 219...2,3,2,11 timings, its rated @ 2-3-2-6 but with 11 it gets better scores/benchmarks. I have the vdimm set to 2.7v but i think only 2.6v is necessary. Havent tested yet. This ram has pulled 230mhz so it might not be the ram holding you back.

hmm... This is bad. With preacher bios or the one i had before (don't remember what it is) I cant do much over 200. Not even 215. What are the exact settings for 219 that you used on the softmenu page? Im having problems trying all the possibilities.

Could my cpu be keeping me from high fsb, (mult was at 5x,) or should i try another bios?

Shouldn't my ram be able to post at 100mhz (or 200) at most RELAXED timings? It won't... This pickyness makes OCing very difficult.

Thanks for answers to any of my many questions!

Back