• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New NF7s are POS!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sentential

Contributing Member
Just like the title says, im gonna take pleasure in breaking my mobo into tiny pieces.

I have had nothing but irration from Abit. My first NF7 mysteriously died, and my second one refuses to cooperate.

Sure, I can get the bus to 225, but my multipliers using any are unstable and unreliable. Not to mention that the NIC randomly dropped out for awhile recently

I can run 2.25 @ 1.7v just fine. But not even 1.9v will get it stable @ 10.5x or higher. This problem persists even when using every D10 version available, and every D21/22 version:mad:

I shouldnt have joined the bandwagon, I shoulda just gotten that DFI Infinity.:mad:

.....Higher clocks my a$$ I could do 2.38 on my VIA board @ 1.7v. I have spent days tryin to figure out why this board sucks.

I would REALLY REALLY appreciate any sort of trouble shooting you pplz got. Here is a detailed spec of my comp.

Antec 430 true
Mushkin L1 Black 3500
AMD 1800XP JIXHB DLT3C
ATI Radeon 9800 non-pro (w/t Infineon)
All power plugs on the board are connected (standard + P4 extra slot)
NB is stock but pasted with AS5
Thermalright SK7 on the CPU
Passive heatsinks on the MOFSETS

Unless I can get this SOB to cooperate, this will be my first, last, and ONLY board from Abit!!!

i switched from nf7-s to dfi lanpary NFII ultra B and I couldnt be happier. I crapped out at 223 fsb and on my lanparty i can do 250 and even then.. i didnt test to see if it was my memory stopping from going further, or fsb.. because I didnt want to losen the timings. As far as the "nf7 gets higher clockrates over dfi" I cant say about that. I know i can do 250x10 right now on my dfi (2500 mobile) and I know i could do more except i have a crappy heatsink/fan. My prommy should be here monday so :D:cool:

yes i would recommend lanparty over nf7. Its better than all 3 of the nf7 series boards i have

Lan Party or the Infinity are the way to go these days. They are the same board but the Infinity doesn't come with all the UV bs. When my nf7-s goes thats what is replacing it.

*sigh* I knew I shoulda trusted my instincts. Oh well, I will take pleasure in bashing this mobo into pieces in a year or so.

This will definatly be my very last Abit board. IMHO Abit is going the way of Asus. All name, pure crap.

Pplz in the forums need to STOP reccomending Abit! :mad:

Im gonna once again, try to get 10.5 stable. Althought there is little hope of it working.

I order from newegg. I know they dont always have the best price, but they have good prices and I know I can trust them.

why dont you check your 12v rail on your psu?????thats where your cpu draws its power from on that board, and if that gfx card has the 12v power connector on it as well, ill bet a penny to a pound of **** thats what is causing your problems, i had the same problem with my oc when i put my 9800xt in, the card just took too much power

you need a strong 12v rail to get the best out of that board to begin with, the card might just be the final straw

edit: ps, theres nothing wrong with abit's mobo's ;)

lol. I know my PSU isnt the problem!

Its a 430w Antec True! Thnx for the tip, but its not the problem. Its just the freakin board.

Actually there is alot wrong with Abit. You just got lucky...:( and got one that works very well.

Mine and many others, however sux.

Plus I dont have any BH5 :(

lol, it wouldnt be the first antec 430 to fail on that board even before the monster gfx card mate honestly, see if you can get someone with a 550, just to make sure, i know of 7 430's that wouldnt run strong oc's on the nf7

also have you tried disabling cpu interface????
did you try going higher on the fsb with d10 bios, or did you leave it at 223 and try for a 10.5 multi???

im curious to know exactly what you tried and what you havent cos thats the exact same spot i first hit bother with my board last year with my 2500 barton..........flashing to the d10 bios solved it for me, then changing from 3200 to 3700 twinmos to get to where im at now, oh and the psu ;)

have you tried to L12 mod that cpu??? the rev 2 boards prefer to oc with 333fsb cpu's as opposed to 266 cpu's...........told a friend to try it with his 2100 and he got an extra 15 fsb out of his rev 2

it honestly isnt the board, you just got to know all its faults, same as anything really

Nah my rails look good. BTW your NF7 looks totally different from mine, which explains alot :(

Your NB fan is alot bigger and various transisters on the board are different colors.

No BIOS revision has helped my at all. Im better off using D21 since D10 and even D10 Turbo didnt raise my FSB at all :(

If I turn CPU Interface off, my comp will not POST at all. This happens under any clock :(

L12 did nothing either.

Neither did modding chipset voltage

Neither did cooling the MOFSETS

Im starting to think I got a runt :(

This whole process makes me sick. Even if I get this to work, unless I break 2.5, Im not getting another Abit again.

Sentential at what settings did you run your old board to get 2.36ghz?

also how is it unstable? does it keep rebooting/blue screens or prime95 errors?

I am curious as to what NF driver version you are using...reminds me of the problems I had when the 8RDA+ came out...especially the LAN dropping...after RMAing 2 boards...the ones after the first one litterly caught on fire...came to find out it was the NF2 drivers causing the troubles...not saying that is your problem...but it is something else to think about...

I had my NF7-s die on me, then the next couple of boards from their rma process had dead bios or just didnt perform even to rated specs. Still dealing with abit in an attempt to get a working board since i barely had the first one a month, but as soon as i have money Im putting a DFI infinity in my barton machine, and if a working NF7-s ever comes back to me from abit its going to end up pulling closet duty on our apartment storage server.

Im using the origional N-force Drivers that were on the CD (whatever it was)

My chip that did 2.3 was on a VIA board made by Giga-byte (KT600)

I have it running on another comp right now, but I did have it in my first NF7.

Right now Im using a JIXHB from my parents PC.

The JIUHB acted the same way as my JIXHB but slightly better, in the sense that the voltage requirements skyrocketed. Not to mention the instability @ 2.3ghz, in both cases

My JIUHB required 1.9v to boot @ 2.3. My JIXHB requirers 1.85v

Right now my former JIUHB is rockin solid @ 2.25 (133 x 16.5) with 1.58v in my sisters machine that I built using my former VIA board. I would pin-mod hers like mine. But it wont enable CPU interface. Not to mention that she wants it perfectally stable.

BTW my VIA board ran @ (212 x 11) with 1.7v

Im gonna try and troubleshoot this weekend and see where it gets me.

I know several pplz mentioned drivers. Where can I get the old drivers from?? Im thinking the ones on the CD are crap!

When I meant instability, I was refering to the constant BSODs in IExplorer and progs in general. Constant lockups and error reports.

3Dmark gets to the first test and freezes. A complete and total hardlock that requires a re-boot to get going.

Windoz requires 1.85v to boot @ 2.33 and it BSODs from there.

Right now Im burning in @ 5 x 133 with 2v. Ill let that sit for a coupla hours and try again.

Last edited:
Sentential said:

Pplz in the forums need to STOP reccomending Abit! :mad:

Well there are more successes than failures with the NF7-S, and virtually any MB will have its share of problems. I am one who loves it and I am sorry to hear your troubles.

At any rate, since Abit isn't living up to par with you then I would say the DFI boards look to be very good. I hear the Ultra Infinity is fantastic.

Hope things work out for you. If you do go DFI let us know how that does especially if you use the same components with it.

i switched to the dfi lanparty b. Way better. I can run at 250 fsb 1:1. On the nf7-s i could do 222 max

Back