• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question about Swiftech waterblocks

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pyro

Registered
I'm getting ready to order my first wc setup and I have most of the parts picked out but I need some help. I want to use 1/2" ID tubing for the whole system. Right now I'm planning to get Swiftech waterblocks for my cpu and gpu. Specifically I'm looking at MCW5002-A and MCW50. The cpu block says it has 1/2" barb connectors and the gpu block has 1/2" barb connectors as an option. Does that mean they are for 1/2" ID tubing? Or does the barb have to be bigger then the tubing, meaning they are for 3/8" ID?

here's links:
http://www.frozencpu.com/cgi-bin/frozencpu/ex-blc-39.html
http://www.frozencpu.com/cgi-bin/frozencpu/ex-blc-11.html

any advice would be appreciated :)

The gpu block has adapters, the cpu block has them right on it.

Let me warn you though. 1/2id 3/4od tubing isnt fun to route around a regular size case.

Jon

My case is fairly big... I think I'll be able to route it. The gpu block is gonna be the hard part because the barbs will pointing right at the side of my case. If I were to go with 3/8" ID tubing instead how bad is that gonna hurt performance?

Not reallyall that much, but I would go with the MCW500 not the 2 if you go with 3/8" ID.

1/2" ID tubing is a pain, somewhat of a workout too, to route.

Right now I'm looking at pics of everyone elses wc setup and I'm starting think 1/2" tubing isn't gonna fit too well in my case after all :p How strong of a pump would I need for those 2 waterblocks and a BIX rad using 3/8" tubing? I think I'm going to get a Hydor pump. Its just a choice between the L20 or L30. I wonder if the L20 would handle my system... more importantly I wonder if its any quieter then the L30?

Well, If you look around the Swiftech site, you'll notice that about all they use is 3/8" tubing and MCP600's. They know what they are doing.

Ok I did some google searching and came up with a good pump comparison article:

http://www.procooling.com/articles/html/pump_comparison__-_phaestus__1.php

Based on that, it looks like I would need the Swiftech MCP600 in order to get decent cooling in a 3/8" system. It seems to have the best performance but its also the loudest. My main reason for upgrading to wc is noise, but it must be at least as efficient as my air cooling so I can maintain my overclock, if not improve it.

I'm gonna go with 1/2" ID for the whole system and force it to fit somehow. But now I'm back to my original question, if I get the MCW5002-A and MCW50 waterblocks with 1/2" barbs, can I put 1/2" ID tubing on them or will it be too loose a fit?

That adapter is what I'm asking about. Both blocks have those exact same 1/2" barbs. Will they work with 1/2" ID tubing or not?

I have the MCW50 GPU cooler and the MCW5002. 1/2" tubing, but mine is external. I had to use elbow fittings between the CPU and GPU though. But if you're pump is good then that shouldn't hold you back too much. The Swiftech blocks are made to accommodate low and high flow arrangements nicely. Lots of stuff on that scattered throughout the forums. I have been mostly satisfied with mine, but I wish I could have a Cascade instead.

The 1/2 inch fittings for the mcw50 is for 1/2 inch id tubing. I have had no problems at all routing 1/2 inch tygon and silicon tubing in two of my systems. It is a mess though. The good thing about swiftech stuff is that they are an open chamber design with very little back pressure. Almost any pump with decent flow will do fine.

I have an mcw5000 and a d-tek ww block. Both run about the same temps and the ww block causes my eheim to rattle from the back pressure.

Thanks for all the help guys!

Just one more question, whats a good pump for my system that would be nearly silent? I was thinking a Hydor L20 or Eheim 1048... not the most powerful pumps maybe but thats why I picked waterblocks with low pressure drop. Think I'd be able to hear either of them over the 120mm fan on the rad?

Back